Controversial stocking?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

49 African cichlids in a 55g. I'd love to see a picture of that. I thought I was overstocking my 55g with 15 African cichlids, I think I'm going to go with a more even number like 100.

I entered tank of the month this month but Iā€™ll attach the photos for you, let me know what you think :)

Attachments

• 9C6C7A4E-9792-4F16-85A5-23DE1BE210BD.jpeg
    9C6C7A4E-9792-4F16-85A5-23DE1BE210BD.jpeg
    244.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 6B4023AC-6E46-4092-8F58-311A0880520C.jpeg
    6B4023AC-6E46-4092-8F58-311A0880520C.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 32
I entered tank of the month this month but Iā€™ll attach the photos for you, let me know what you think :)
I have to admit I did raise an eyebrow at 50 4+ inch fish in a 55. The bioload alone must be an issue? How do you keep your nitrates down?

Wills

I have to admit I did raise an eyebrow at 50 4+ inch fish in a 55. The bioload alone must be an issue? How do you keep your nitrates down?

Wills

Surprising enough my nitrates are very rarely above 20 lol

I meticulously test my water several times throughout the week to ensure that no spiking is occurring but usually a 30-40 percent water change weekly is enough

Hi, Wills...
I should probably come clean here then haha

My controversially stocked tank is red eye red tailed puffers with tank mates. I have 1 male an 2 females with a school of Neon Green Rasboras, a group of Neon Blue Gobies and some Amano Shrimp. Never had a problem from the puffers, I've had issues in the tank like we all do, my first male puffer jumped out, my first batch of neon green rasboras were problematic as they died off very quickly (within a week) no sign of disease but they were just so small and weak. The male Puffer does chase the two females but never to damage them or prevent them from feeding.

The tank has been set up for nearly 2 years and probably a year with fish now, its been very slow and methodical in choosing the fish. I find the puffer side of the hobby to have very conflicting advice - probably the most elitist side of the hobby IMO (sort of for good reason as puffers are not for everyone) but I had kept these puffers before and I spoke to a bunch of people who keep them now so I was confident that even though I was going against the grain of some people I was going to have a level of success.

Wills

I should probably come clean here then haha

My controversially stocked tank is red eye red tailed puffers with tank mates. I have 1 male an 2 females with a school of Neon Green Rasboras, a group of Neon Blue Gobies and some Amano Shrimp. Never had a problem from the puffers, I've had issues in the tank like we all do, my first male puffer jumped out, my first batch of neon green rasboras were problematic as they died off very quickly (within a week) no sign of disease but they were just so small and weak. The male Puffer does chase the two females but never to damage them or prevent them from feeding.

The tank has been set up for nearly 2 years and probably a year with fish now, its been very slow and methodical in choosing the fish. I find the puffer side of the hobby to have very conflicting advice - probably the most elitist side of the hobby IMO (sort of for good reason as puffers are not for everyone) but I had kept these puffers before and I spoke to a bunch of people who keep them now so I was confident that even though I was going against the grain of some people I was going to have a level of success.

Wills

Thatā€™s awesome, I love puffers but was always under the consensus that they couldnā€™t go in with anything other than puffers because of the whole poison thing lol probably the case is some other tanks but if itā€™s stupid and it works, itā€™s not stupid lol

Thatā€™s awesome, I love puffers but was always under the consensus that they couldnā€™t go in with anything other than puffers because of the whole poison thing lol probably the case is some other tanks but if itā€™s stupid and it works, itā€™s not stupid lol
Most freshwater puffers are not poisonous. Some can be if they are fresh caught from wild but only if they are eaten. But people have success with South American Puffers, Spotted Congos, Red Eyes and even Dwarfs can be managed now we understand them better. All are fresh water species and you can have some carefully considered tank mates with them but you have to be careful because they have beaks and can do serious damage.

Wills

Another unpopular opinion -

Itā€™s absolutely fine to put a goldfish and an arowana in a 20 litre tank

Lol just kidding

Makes me wonder if anyone did that though

Another unpopular opinion -

Itā€™s absolutely fine to put a goldfish and an arowana in a 20 litre tank

Lol just kidding

Makes me wonder if anyone did that though
100% - like after Finding Nemo and loads of stores sold kids Clown Fish for fish bowls. But lets be honest there is controversial stocking and then there is just stupidity.

100% - like after Finding Nemo and loads of stores sold kids Clown Fish for fish bowls. But lets be honest there is controversial stocking and then there is just stupidity.

Poor nemos, probably quite a few little tanks with a clownfish and a blue tang lol

I have to say, I love it, though a bit crowded for me. I am a long time fan of African cichlids. I'm at my third go around with these cichlids. First time around I had around 15 in the tank for years, eventually gave them away. Second time was a war zone, third time as of now with 15 is working so well, I hate to add anymore and ruin the peace but I might just go ahead and add a few more. Nice tank you have there, I counted around 30 plus fish.

I have to say, I love it, though a bit crowded for me. I am a long time fan of African cichlids. I'm at my third go around with these cichlids. First time around I had around 15 in the tank for years, eventually gave them away. Second time was a war zone, third time as of now with 15 is working so well, I hate to add anymore and ruin the peace but I might just go ahead and add a few more. Nice tank you have there, I counted around 30 plus fish.

Yeah actually 49, give or take. They take turns hiding in amongst the rocks and stuff lol Iā€™ve even got a frontosa in there, which again is probably controversial but I think itā€™s fine. Iā€™m aware he will need rehomed in the future lol

But yeah add a few more you will see a good noticeable change, also annoyingly Iā€™ve got that many cichlids but struggling to breed them lol

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back