Controversial stocking?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I have a 50g African cichlid tank with 49 African cichlids of varying sizes, 5 catfish including 2 pictus, bumblebee, syno and a plec.

This would be seen as controversial duo to the number of fish in there but I’ve noticed that the more i add, the less aggressive they get, I’ve limited myself to 50 but I think they are all doing great

I originally joined this forum site in 2012 and immediately had an argument with members because I was keeping African Butterfly fish with Cardinal tetras and not having any problems. I left for almost 10 years and I have now returned.
There are thousands upon thousands of combinations that work depending on your setup, just enjoy what some people achieve, but don't necessarily try to duplicate it.

I originally joined this forum site in 2012 and immediately had an argument with members because I was keeping African Butterfly fish with Cardinal tetras and not having any problems. I left for almost 10 years and I have now returned.
There are thousands upon thousands of combinations that work depending on your setup, just enjoy what some people achieve, but don't necessarily try to duplicate it.
I think a lot has to do with how we take criticism, some of us will take it as an argument, some as constructive criticism and learn from it.
Now, here comes my rant, how many times I read... "I keep multiple angels in a 15 gallon and it's been fine for a few years or I just added a baby Oscar to my community tank and so far it's all good or I've kept two Oranda goldfish in a 20 gallon for a couple of years and never had a problem" I did aquarium maintenance for a little while for profit, one tank in a lady's house had a 18 inch pleco in a 55 gallon, the width of the 55g tank is 12 inches, she said she had him in there for years and was happy!!! As someone with decades of experience, how can I enjoy or embrace this kind of "achievement" and what kind of message does this send to newcomers reading this?

I have a 50g African cichlid tank with 49 African cichlids of varying sizes, 5 catfish including 2 pictus, bumblebee, syno and a plec.

This would be seen as controversial duo to the number of fish in there but I’ve noticed that the more i add, the less aggressive they get, I’ve limited myself to 50 but I think they are all doing great
Isn't that a known fact in case of African Cichlids ?

I think a lot has to do with how we take criticism, some of us will take it as an argument, some as constructive criticism and learn from it.
Now, here comes my rant, how many times I read... "I keep multiple angels in a 15 gallon and it's been fine for a few years or I just added a baby Oscar to my community tank and so far it's all good or I've kept two Oranda goldfish in a 20 gallon for a couple of years and never had a problem" I did aquarium maintenance for a little while for profit, one tank in a lady's house had a 18 inch pleco in a 55 gallon, the width of the 55g tank is 12 inches, she said she had him in there for years and was happy!!! As someone with decades of experience, how can I enjoy or embrace this kind of "achievement" and what kind of message does this send to newcomers reading this?
In relation to the Pleco....you can only advise and bite your tongue if they don't heed that advice

Sometimes people ask for help but then they do not accept it or they refuse that help til someone agrees with their way of doing things...or they just do their own thing regardless of advice given

Biting of tongue (or fingers if typing advice) is becoming more commonplace thesedays....more people only listen to what they want to hear, read what they want to see and comply with what only they want to do

There is only a small number of times you can talk to the brick wall before you throw hands up and walk away (and wait for that person or people to come back whining that their fish died, then moan at you for saying "I told you so but you chose to ignore me!)

A thing I think we should take in account is that several fish will do great (maybe even shoal) till they mature / are ready to mate. Docile fish can then change into terrorists in the small convinement of a tank. Suddenly one realizes that the tanksize isn't that apropriate as thought.

Yes it is but people would argue 50 in that size tank is too many
The only ones who will argue with your stocking are those have not kept your Cichlid type and those who didn't research the type before arguing with you.

Most of us, here at least, know that more the merrier of that type of fish and we won't argue over the numbers.

The only ones who will argue with your stocking are those have not kept your Cichlid type and those who didn't research the type before arguing with you.

Most of us, here at least, know that more the merrier of that type of fish and we won't argue over the numbers.

Agreed, I think if your willing to put the effort in to deal with the problems of that number of fish may arise then so be it :) I love my fish and they seem much happier with more of them

Feels like this is a kind of therapy group :)

Hello my name is Wills, and I have a controversially stocked tank...

Wills

Hey @Wills do you think you could swing by my post about my convicts from today and take a look? Haha my convicts just lay eggs and don’t know what to expect

49 African cichlids in a 55g. I'd love to see a picture of that. I thought I was overstocking my 55g with 15 African cichlids, I think I'm going to go with a more even number like 100.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back