Concerns About Current In Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FriendlyFriendlyFish

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello, 

I recently set up a 10 gal tank with a filter and two fairly large air stones. The filter creates a nice ripple on the surface and I can tell there is a bit of a current in the tank because the plants are moving. When I turn the air stones on the bubbles are quite large and it creates a stronger current in the water. I am concerned that the current might be to strong for my neon tetras but I am also concerned that having the air stones turned off will reduce the oxygen levels or reduce the water quality.  

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much! 

The air stone won't significantly reduce oxygen levels, especially if there is good agitation on the surface - that's where the oxygen enters the water. It also won't affect water quality.

Do the Neons look as if they are struggling?

You could try buying a valve for the airline to limit the air pumped through.

the_lock_man said:
The air stone won't significantly reduce oxygen levels, especially if there is good agitation on the surface - that's where the oxygen enters the water. It also won't affect water quality.
+1 to this, surface movement is all you need and you have this from your filter outlet

Neons are amazon fish and are experienced in stronger currents, why have you got the two air stones running may I ask?

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I had two air stones going because they were given to me with the tank. I have since unplugged them. The neons don't swim as much when I have the air stones turned on and they seem to be struggling a bit so I think I will leave the air stones off for now. My neons are not quite full grown so maybe I will be able to turn the air stones back on once they are a bit bigger. I am glad to hear that the water quality will not be effected
smile.png

Thanks again! 

Here is a pic of my neons:

neons.jpeg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back