Computer Aqaurium

I can see the topics now.. What fish can I put in my mineral oil cooled pc aquarium?
 
It looks like an interesting project. I build my own PCs but had never considered using mineral oil to cool them instead of air. It does look like they are having trouble keeping the mineral oil in the container and preventing wicking effects. That alone would put me off doing it. It would be a great display but who wants to be constantly wiping up mineral oil?
 
i think fish would die in that and i have considered it my self
 
The oil could be stopped from wicking by sealing all edges with gasket, we use the same stuff on 11,000v transformers. I would not like to do a memory upgrade on it once it had been put in the oil though..
Another problem I could see is that the cooling fans are designed to run in air so will burn out and possibly damage the psu..
 
i think fish would die in that and i have considered it my self

I know liquids have a much higher latent heat then water, but with the difficulty in moving it and only having a specific volume (the size of a tank compared to a massive amount of air) wouldn't it be unreliable?
 
Would there be anything stopping someone installing a central divider and putting water + fish in the front section? Obviously heat would build up, so you'd need to run a chiller, but otherwise? And the chiller would keep the computer bit running cooler still :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top