Comprehensive Low Cost Led Ideas- Need Opinions! :)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kenshi64

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm on a tight budget but it really matters that my plants are healthy and pearling so I'm trying to get blue light and below are the low cost alternatives :) 
Note before reading:This gets a bit lengthy and as I mention later, I understand that my communication skills are a bit deficient so kindly bear with me! :)

I've been looking through ebay for automotive DRLs and I found 4 that caught my eye. Though I have realized that using these may not ensure the wavelenght 425-450 since it wasn't intended for plants.

My Hood is 30 cms long and they all fit that criteria. The tank in question is a 5 gallon tank (LBH= 12"10"10").

I would really love it if the members here could tell me if any one of these four might actually provide the right wavelength and lumens for the aforementioned system.

Find1

Find2

Find3

Find4

Images for quick reference:
Find1:
$(KGrHqN,!q0FC0q,IQ1PBQy!YpC4S!~~60_1.JPG

Find2:
$(KGrHqJ,!qIFJcjRZ!cGBS(U)UmIQ!~~60_3.JPG

Find3:
$T2eC16F,!)kE9s4Z-UBLBQRWpYp!Gg~~60_1.JPG

Find4:
$T2eC16d,!y0FI,!grLpCBSH19Et4u!~~60_3.JPG

I hope you appreciate the inclusion of pictures and I'm sorry if my questions aren't clear, my communication skills are deficient :(

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, my first question is where do you draw the correlation between blue light and plant pearling?  I am under the impression that plants can't really do much with the blue spectrum, and are going to pearl much more in high light at around 5000k - 7500k color temp.

The being said, the 5050 LED's do not output much PAR, the vehicle lights you listed are more usable, as they are nearly 3X the output as the 5050's.  You realy want your LED's at 1W each minumum.

If you go on eBay you will find LED tubes with the controller for a reasonable £39.00 to £59.00. These have a 5 year guarantee and have the correct spectrum for plants. They have a IP65 rating so are safe.

Take alook at my 180g tank build you can get what you need on ebay. It should cost about 25 bucks for such a small tank. I would use 3 watts maybe 2 of them. 1 watts might not be strong enough unless you use a lot of them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back