Complete Evo Of Planted Tank From Newbie To Now (semi-newbie Haha)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

phlawed

Fishaholic
Reaction score
HOB intake is removed as i hooked up the canister filter this morning. Now have a spraybar at top of tank thats a little more conceled hehe. but here is pic hope ya like
new tank Feb

first plants beginning-mid march

end of march-beginning of april

May 4 update

May 13 update

pic 5/29

Looking better each day mate, just wait to see how it fills out.

My only concern is the echindorus (amazon sword), it might get a bit big, for that spot (taking over the tank) depending on what species it is?

The Lilaeopsis brasiliensis (micro sword), should look nice as it fills the right hand side

Have you thought about putting a anbulia where the little hollow in the bogwood is?

Looking better each day mate, just wait to see how it fills out.

My only concern is the echindorus (amazon sword), it might get a bit big, for that spot (taking over the tank) depending on what species it is?

The Lilaeopsis brasiliensis (micro sword), should look nice as it fills the right hand side

Have you thought about putting a anbulia where the little hollow in the bogwood is?

"My only concern is the echindorus (amazon sword), it might get a bit big, for that spot (taking over the tank) depending on what species it is?"

not sure which one your talking about, the one just to the right of bogwood? i have had it for months, it doesnt stem, the leaves grow straight from the roots and have never gotten any bigger than 3"

there are 3 fishing living in the bogwood tunnel, and 3 kuhli's on the outside of it haha, so i just leave their home alone, I did put a java fern on the top that has attached itself well. there is a wisteria plant begind the bogwood that will fill out as well, and one on the right that should fill out and cover some equipment.

It looks a bit like Echinodorus Rose they can grow to a foot both ways.

I don't think the anbulia would disrupt your loach :lol: They would probably like the extra security of a nice forest in front of the entrance to there house :lol:
Mine use to sit under the leafs sometimes to avoid the light, it was about the only time a saw them apart from when they where doing there mad dance up and down the corner of the tank.

Keep up the good work mate :)

Simon.

hmmm, think your right on the rose...but will keep it until it starts to overshadow the tank. The red leaves are longer than the bottom rounder leaves and more narrow. And from the pics i found, it pretty much matches it in looks. Thanks for info :D Tank will be moving to a 55g 48" tank in next few months, so it might look better in it.

wow you were right on that rose plant. After changing substrate to eco-complete it is going nuts. It has 4 6" leaves already. Everything is going nuts. Even some type of hair algae i cant iD...will try and get pics tomorrow of it. Plan on water change in morning so will take some pics before i clean a few of the plants of it. Lighting schedule has been a little funky lately so prop my fault hehe. :fun:

are you dosing anything? what kind of filter did you get?

Few updated pics (dealing with algae, but will keep updated), added some SAE to help with it, some i will cut out and try to clean others by hand.

Ey! Lovely growth! The microswords finally straightenned up, huh? :lol: (Had the same problem with unruly microswords when I had them). I think it's time to spread the rotala indica --- it's getting thick!!! :D

left side rotala is already spread like i want. Right side will be spread out towards the right, still hoping vals will grow in middle. They are starting to perk up. Wistera should cover the middle between the rotola on left side. you can see it beginning to peek up above the bogwood. micro is straightning up. Another two weeks it should be spreading and looking nice. It was a crumpled mess when bought it shoved in with 3 other plants for about 4 hours in the bag haha, had to finish work before i got them home. Money wort has doubled in size as well after a rough start. Hoping thats a good sign agianst my algae. pretty much everything is growing well, even the algae (the bloody bastard).

Tank looks absolutely quality mate, really really has improved with age. And I like comparing it to the first photos, just goes to show what can be achieved.

Whats the plant on the very far right, thats growing next to the glass, in front of the wisteria? There is one very tall stem of it thats nearly reaching the surface, looks like a lovely plant :) Might have to remember that one.

The tank has undergone some major changes, all for the better. Your growth is quite impressive.

My only criticism for now is that there is not enough green, and the rotala is too dominating with it's leaf type. Somebody told me that once only that I had too much green and too many thread-like plants. It might be the photos your taking, but the rotala looks more yellowish, and not very pink. This more than likely the photo quality. Again, not a big criticism. I would also prefer that the two clumps of rotala on the left, be grouped closer together. Right now, the rotala is so dominating that I see just three clumps. They're not planted that way, I'm sure but that's just how I'm seeing it. A stem-plant to consider that will give the tank a bit more depth and is a lovely complement to rotala is the green myriophyla species. It's a lovely bright green and doesn't grow as fast as the rotala and might give the tank a little more depth. Normally the Wisteria would fill that role very well, but for some reason it's not as big as I would expect it to be. In my tanks, it grew like a weed.

Again, please don't take my criticisms to heart, they're just my opinion. The growth is very lovely, really, you've come a long way.

llj :)

The tank has undergone some major changes, all for the better. Your growth is quite impressive.

My only criticism for now is that there is not enough green, and the rotala is too dominating with it's leaf type. Somebody told me that once only that I had too much green and too many thread-like plants. It might be the photos your taking, but the rotala looks more yellowish, and not very pink. This more than likely the photo quality. Again, not a big criticism. I would also prefer that the two clumps of rotala on the left, be grouped closer together. Right now, the rotala is so dominating that I see just three clumps. They're not planted that way, I'm sure but that's just how I'm seeing it. A stem-plant to consider that will give the tank a bit more depth and is a lovely complement to rotala is the green myriophyla species. It's a lovely bright green and doesn't grow as fast as the rotala and might give the tank a little more depth. Normally the Wisteria would fill that role very well, but for some reason it's not as big as I would expect it to be. In my tanks, it grew like a weed.

Again, please don't take my criticisms to heart, they're just my opinion. The growth is very lovely, really, you've come a long way.

llj :)
the wistera is still a little new, its grown about 3-4 inches in just 2 weeks or less. So will give it a little time to fill that area, it will add some green in there. The top 1/3 of the rotala is all pearling pink. But agree to add some more green in front of the rotala on the left. Vals in rear will also add some green. Money wort is on the right the tall stem plant you were asking about.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back