Complete beginner

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

dubblejd

Reaction score
Iā€™ve was given a tank and filter from a friend. Iā€™ve cleaned it, filled it and ran filter for 3 days then emptied and repeated the process a few times. Iā€™m now at the point of leaving it for a bother couple of weeks before we put the fish in for a Christmas present. Itā€™s a cold water fish setup

I woke up this morning and this white film like stuff is sitting on the top of the water. Is that normal or do I have a problem.

Iā€™ve also added the tap water conditioner but am waiting to put in the bio boost till just before we put the fish in.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• 0331EFEB-716C-484C-A90C-25F39FCA51E5.jpeg
    0331EFEB-716C-484C-A90C-25F39FCA51E5.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 37
you need to properly cycle your tank before adding fish...
read all about cycling and refer to the part about fishless cycling. If you don't cycle your tank before adding the fish, it might result in death of your fish. Cycling can take 5 to 7 weeks.

you need to properly cycle your tank before adding fish...
read all about cycling and refer to the part about fishless cycling. If you don't cycle your tank before adding the fish, it might result in death of your fish. Cycling can take 5 to 7 weeks.
Thanks for the info. I have got this bio boost which I havnt added yet. And i wonā€™t be getting the fish till end of December time. Il read up the article properly. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 20
Hi and welcome to start with... :hi:
The film you see at the surface could also be from the gravel you've put in. That's what it looks like to me...

Agree with the above and the oil could be from not washing the decorations properly before putting them in the tank. But it isn't a problem since your tank isn't cycled yet to have fish in there.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I admit I didnā€™t wash the gravel or the decorations and put the gravel in just before refilling it. Would you recommend that I change the water completely again or just scoop it out and continue with the cycling. Thanks

I would suggest adding some live plants, although the substrate may not be perfect for it. You could try something like Dwarf Hygrophila.
Or, get a piece of aquarium rock or wood, and, using fish safe glue, glue on an Anubis or Java fern. You could also use floating plants.

Oh also, do you have a heater?

I would suggest adding some live plants, although the substrate may not be perfect for it. You could try something like Dwarf Hygrophila.
Or, get a piece of aquarium rock or wood, and, using fish safe glue, glue on an Anubis or Java fern. You could also use floating plants.

Oh also, do you have a heater?
Thanks. We were definitely thinking of getting some sort of plants il take a look at the ones you suggested. No no heater currently we are just going to stick too cold water fish at the moment until we get used to everything and then get another tank some point in the future

Welcome to TFF

Since you are in the very early stages with the tank, I would empty, clean everything in hot tap water, and start over

You don't need fancy bio-starters and such. What you DO need, first and foremost, is a good test kit. Many of us use this one, with excellent results: https://apifishcare.com/product/freshwater-master-test-kit

If you are using tap water, you will also need a good quality water conditioner, Seachem Prime, or API Tap Water conditioner.

Most importantly, read and understand the cycling sticky provided above, and post any questions about cycling you may have here.

When you mention "cold" water, just how cold will it be? You'd have MUCH more options fish-wise in a heated tank; heaters are not overly expensive, or difficult to use.

Good luck, and welcome to the hobby.

Thanks. We were definitely thinking of getting some sort of plants il take a look at the ones you suggested. No no heater currently we are just going to stick too cold water fish at the moment until we get used to everything and then get another tank some point in the future
Welcome to TFF

Since you are in the very early stages with the tank, I would empty, clean everything in hot tap water, and start over

You don't need fancy bio-starters and such. What you DO need, first and foremost, is a good test kit. Many of us use this one, with excellent results: https://apifishcare.com/product/freshwater-master-test-kit

If you are using tap water, you will also need a good quality water conditioner, Seachem Prime, or API Tap Water conditioner.

Most importantly, read and understand the cycling sticky provided above, and post any questions about cycling you may have here.

When you mention "cold" water, just how cold will it be? You'd have MUCH more options fish-wise in a heated tank; heaters are not overly expensive, or difficult to use.

Welcome to TFF

Good luck, and welcome to the hobb
Welcome to TFF

thanks again for the advice. I think I will empty it a start again. Looking at the other comments aswell I think I messed up with the gravel as the water wasnā€™t that bad prior to adding gravel. Il definately get the test kits and research the cycle process further.
So with cold water. I donā€™t want anything too fancy for a minute and with the UK energy prices I donā€™t really want to add a heater right now but will definately look into tropical once I get better at this.

A lot of fish sold as cold water fish in shops are actually temperate fish, which means they are OK at around 18 deg C. If the room the tank is in will be at or above that temperature in the middle of a winter night, that's fine. But if it gets colder than that, a heater would be advisable. It would need to be set so the water doesn't drop below 18, and the heater would only switch on if the temperature did drop in the middle of the night. A safety net. Since heaters are notoriously badly calibrated I would test it in a bucket of water so you can find the setting which turns on and off at 18 deg C.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back