Compatible w/ Goldfish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mrock0311

Reaction score
Ok, I took the advice of some of you in reference to my new 55 gal. coldwater aquarium. Today I bought 2 small Pearlscale Orandas, 1 small Fantail, and 1 small gray Oranda(forgot the exact name). I put them in about an hour ago and plan on letting the tank cycle completely before getting more fish.

If you were me, what kind of fish would you put in with the above fish? There were some nice looking Koi in the fish store, but the lady there mentioned that they sometimes get to be very large fish, and I don't want huge fish. Thanks for any help!!!!

MROCK :unsure:

Koi get massive and are stricly large pond fish only.

If I were you I'd not add any more coldfish type fish as you have a good number for that size tank (I wish I had less!).

You could go for peppered cories, weather loaches, hillstream loaches (if you can meet their requrements) and perhaps some sort of plec (only a few are ok for coldwater but I'm not sure of specifics.

HTH

Koi need at least a 1,000 gallon container and 200 gallons a piece so you cannot get one. Also you have Fancy bodied goldfish and theye should really only be kept with other fanch bodied gold fish to alow you to feed everone equally. you could get 2 more and then let them grow up they will probably be 10" each in 18 months or so and if you have to many they will dwarf (and that would be very bad)

Opcn

Koi are large and very messy fish, they need good filtration and plenty of room. I would stick with Fancy goldfish, if you introduce species like Comets, Common Goldfish, Minnows etc the less robust Fancies tend to be out competed for food.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back