Community of large Americans

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

I understand, I have in the past done what I wanted and have learnt the hard way.

Just know that no fish were harmed, as soon as I seen them fighting I removed them and took them back. I didnā€™t just let them die.

As for the balzini as soon as I got home I googled it and realised it needed cooler water and called the shop. He said they have been in Australia for 30 years now and have gotten used to warmer water.

Give me some community ideas and I will definitely be sticking to your recommendations.

I really like the American or South American, central fish. I donā€™t like Africans (not sure why)

Just feel like the Americans are a lot more like humans

Oh no I didnt mean that I thought your fish had died or anything just the whole buying and rehoming thing is stressful all round and disappointing. I went through a phase where I was doing it and you just never get the satisfaction and relaxing side of owning an aquarium, everything is just temporary so worth working out how to get out of that cycle. I'd question if thousands of years of evolution to their native habitat can be done in 30 years of Australian heat but only one way to find out...

In terms of Americans vs Africans, 2 of the fish on your first list the Jullies and the Dragon Bloods are Africans just for example. But I know what you mean as I was put off Africans for a long time but about to start my journey - I think I always thought there was some kind of complexity to them or some kind of elite level of fish keeping (like Discus or Marine tanks) but it isnt, just a few simple rules to work with. I've not spent as much time with Africans as I have Americans but I've been looking for a while now and you do get the same kind of intelligent interaction that you do with Americans, whether thats glass banging or just that sort of quiet staring contest as you try and figure each other out, its all there.

Back to the Americans though, are there any fish you specifically want in there? Or any kind of shapes or colours, specific behaviours? Any dither or clean up crew you want to go in with them etc? Large is a vague term as large South Americans to me are things like Oscars, Severums, Chocolates, True Parrots but your list includes some mid sized fish like Blue Acaras which you potentially could keep in a mixed species tank if you picked the right tank mates but you don't get the bigger size you would like with the Severums I mentioned. Just for completeness my list of 4 here I wouldnt recommend keeping together as its pretty risky.

Wills

I like Oscarā€™s, really love them: but I know they are really aggressive. As you can see Iā€™m really uneducated with fish species.

I really liked my Cuban but after he molested every fish I kept in the tank I removed him.

I really like the uaru but will obviously need to get a couple more and know that they are to shy to keep with anything mildly aggressive.

I also liked my firemouth but same thing kept harassing other fish especially the female.

I have several bristle nose which have never been bothered and I really like them. They mind their own business.

I guess Iā€™m after a community of medium-large. Colourful (nothing like a silver dollar)

And I donā€™t really like fish with longish fins like angels.

Hope this makes sense

What about this

2 uaru
1 chocolate
2 geophagus
1 blue acara
Several bristlnose

Sorry if these arenā€™t the technical names

Sorry for the heap of posts, I have been going through the Americans at my local shop and short listed a few that I have read can be peaceful

Pearsei
Heckelli (different type)
Geophagus (different types)
Bocourti
Veija Fenestrutus
Red bay snook
Red hump eartheater

Once again donā€™t hate thereā€™s just so many to pick from

What about this

2 uaru
1 chocolate
2 geophagus
1 blue acara
Several bristlnose

Sorry if these arenā€™t the technical names

This isnt actually far off at all for me, the main thing is you need to choose between the Uaru and the Geophagus. Since you have an Uaru already I'd be tempted to go for that as a group of 4 with the Chocolate Cichlid. A single Blue Acara could work but not 100% as the others are double their size.

I suppose the only thing to say is if you want colourful fish that would be 5 large basically brown fish - though beautiful in their own right. If you want colour in a South American tank how about a Super Red Severum and some Electric Blue Acaras? I think Colombian Tetras or Bleeding Hearts might be a good choice to go with these fish as well - though if you did the Chocolate Cichlid you'd need to be very careful with Tetras as they have huge mouths.

I really like Cichlid Bros on YouTube, they really know what they are talking about - though not as experienced as members here and they are happier to experiment than others too but they have lots of tanks and big tanks at that so they have a lot of back up plans if they need to make any quick changes.

This isnt actually far off at all for me, the main thing is you need to choose between the Uaru and the Geophagus. Since you have an Uaru already I'd be tempted to go for that as a group of 4 with the Chocolate Cichlid. A single Blue Acara could work but not 100% as the others are double their size.

I suppose the only thing to say is if you want colourful fish that would be 5 large basically brown fish - though beautiful in their own right. If you want colour in a South American tank how about a Super Red Severum and some Electric Blue Acaras? I think Colombian Tetras or Bleeding Hearts might be a good choice to go with these fish as well - though if you did the Chocolate Cichlid you'd need to be very careful with Tetras as they have huge mouths.

I really like Cichlid Bros on YouTube, they really know what they are talking about - though not as experienced as members here and they are happier to experiment than others too but they have lots of tanks and big tanks at that so they have a lot of back up plans if they need to make any quick changes.
Why uaru or geophagus? Is it the temperature differences?

Why uaru or geophagus? Is it the temperature differences?

No you'd just need to keep them in groups of at least 4 and you dont have the space for 4 of each.

I like Oscarā€™s, really love them: but I know they are really aggressive. As you can see Iā€™m really uneducated with fish species.

Actually Oscars are one of the most peaceful cichlids. In fact most cichlids outside of breeding are only aggressive if theyā€™re kept without enough space. Most Cichlid aggression is just territoriality, so give them a big enough territory and theyā€™re not aggressive. Itā€™s us that causes the aggression.

Uaru are too big for your tank. You would need to keep at least six, preferably more. So are bocourti and pearsei, which are unsuitable for your water.

You donā€™t seem to be taking advice here, so Iā€™m out. Good luck.

Actually Oscars are one of the most peaceful cichlids. In fact most cichlids outside of breeding are only aggressive if theyā€™re kept without enough space. Most Cichlid aggression is just territoriality, so give them a big enough territory and theyā€™re not aggressive. Itā€™s us that causes the aggression.

Uaru are too big for your tank. You would need to keep at least six, preferably more. So are bocourti and pearsei, which are unsuitable for your water.

You donā€™t seem to be taking advice here, so Iā€™m out. Good luck.
Not sure where I havenā€™t taken your advice?

Iā€™ve literally said I donā€™t have knowledge of fish and have given some names of fish I like and asked for your advice?

Have a bad day did you

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back