Columnaris

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Newbie02

Reaction score
Hi everyone
So I woke up today and looked at my betta and saw he had cottony growth on his side so I think it’s cotton wool disease/columnaris. I rush to the store and get him kanaplex so I get home I do a water change and add the medication I did a half scoop since a full scoop is for 5 gal and I’m using 2.5. I’ve read that for this disease to keep the tank on the cooler end is that true? Some of the medication stayed suspended in the water and the other half dropped into the gravel will it still work?

Tank size:2.5 gal uncycled
tank age:1 month
pH:7.6-7.8
ammonia:0
nitrite:0
nitrate:5pm
kH:
gH:
tank temp:78

Fish Symptoms: breathing faster, no appetite, lethargic, clamped fins, cottony growth on side

Volume and Frequency of water changes:anytime ammonia is detected 70%change

Exposure to chemicals: kanaplex

Is there anything else I need to do?

Attachments

• 72FCDE53-64E9-4E4D-B294-D1076ED177AF.jpeg
    72FCDE53-64E9-4E4D-B294-D1076ED177AF.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 81CD4E62-8F83-40D9-B68F-20B91684BF09.jpeg
    81CD4E62-8F83-40D9-B68F-20B91684BF09.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 37
I accidentally added kanaplex with the filter on do I do another water change and add more medicine or leave it be?

I can't tell anything from the pictures.

Columnaris is unlikely to appear in a clean well maintained aquarium that hasn't had new fish added to it.

Cream or white patches on the body can be excess mucous caused by poor water quality or an external protozoan infection.

White fluffy stuff on the fish is Saprolegnia fungus.

Kanaplex is Kanamycin, an antibiotic that should only be used on known bacterial infections that have not responded to normal treatments. Improper use and mis-use of anti-biotics has lead to drug resistant bacteria that kill fish, birds, animals, reptiles and people.

Filters and aeration should always be kept on when using medications to maximise oxygen levels in the water and circulate the medication.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back