Columnaris!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Luzi

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have 7 platies in my coldwater tank. One had not been eating for a while and it had a translucent white spot on her mouth and white stringy poo. At first I thought it was internal parasites and treated with waterlife's sterazin. today I saw that another platy has a similar spot on her mouth and 2 had small pale patches on their backs. Although they all seem to be acting fine, I've seen a couple flicking and now the original white fish spot has a 'string' hanging off it. I've diagnosed them with columnaris and urgently need a treatment as i think its still in an early stage.
I have Interpet's Internal bacteria treatment (number 9) - will this help? If not, can anyone reccomend a good treatment available in the uk?

I've read that myxazin and pimafix are good treatments. I have Interpet's anti-fungus treatment(number 8) as well as number 9, would this be ok to replace the pimafix? Also, would a salt bath help the affected fish? I was thinking 10mins at 20g/litre

Size of tank in gallons or litres.
How many fish and which type.
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.

Platys are not coldwater fish they need a heater.
How big are the spots on the mouth.
Any redness to the spots on the mouth.
The string that's coming from the spot, does it look like a strand of cotton or parasite.

Best meds for columnaris in the uk are myxazin by waterlife and pimafix.
Or use anti internal bacteria med by interpet, and pimafix.

The anti fungus and finrot med by interpet, not that good on columnaris.
Also fish can have side affects to the med.

30L tank with 7 platy and a loach, It's overcrowded but some platies will be moving out once this is treated
All stats are fine - pH 6.9 ammonia 0 nitrates 0,5
My platies have been living in my coldwater tank for 2 years with no problems
Spots look like small pimples which are pale and translucent with no redness. The fish have no more than 2 pimples on their mouths.
The string looked like a strand of cotton but it wasn't regular in size and didn't move on its own. It's fallen off now but the pimple's still there. A few fish now have small pale patches on their sides which look like paler metallic scales. There's no sign of cottony or slimy growth on them. the loach doesn't seem affected
Thanks, i'll add some bacteria meds and get some pimafix

Unstable temp and over stocking can cause columnaris.

Let me know how you get on if you don't mind.
Good Luck.

I have 7 platies in my coldwater tank. One had not been eating for a while and it had a translucent white spot on her mouth and white stringy poo. At first I thought it was internal parasites and treated with waterlife's sterazin. today I saw that another platy has a similar spot on her mouth and 2 had small pale patches on their backs. Although they all seem to be acting fine, I've seen a couple flicking and now the original white fish spot has a 'string' hanging off it. I've diagnosed them with columnaris and urgently need a treatment as i think its still in an early stage.
I have Interpet's Internal bacteria treatment (number 9) - will this help? If not, can anyone reccomend a good treatment available in the uk?
Interpet's Treatment Number 10 the methlyne blue would most likely kill it. Go to you LFS and ask them there. I have used this treatment and you need to remove any live plants or anything that can be stained, rocks and ornaments. They also suggest to up the oxygen levels by adding an air pump. If you have clear silicone on your tank, it will dye it blue. Also, if you have cuts on your hands, keep them out of the tank.

Be careful with methylene blue as some brands can wipe all the beneifical bacteria out in the filter.

Day 1 of treatment and all fish continue to act fine, white pimples have shrunk a little but pale areas haven't changed much. One fish is beginning to act listless, I hope i treated in time
Treating with Interpet

You can double the dose of anti internal bacteria med by interpet in severe cases.
It might knock water stats.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back