Columnaris Wiping Out Tank...Help!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

There is a synergistic effect between Furan2 and Kanamycin. They need to be used simultaneously for Columnaris treatment.

There are at least 4 strains of columnaris, each with a different degree of deadliness. Some will take out a tank in 24hrs, others will persist for months especially if some kind of action if taken. Sounds like you have one of the less deadly ones.
All of my pet stores are still open; one of them (they are really knowledgeable) recommended Maracyn-2 with an immune booster. I ordered the Maracyn-2 and Easy Life Voogle. Is it worth trying?

Do you use the same net, bucket or siphon between your tanks? That may have spread the disease to both

Do you use the same net, bucket or siphon between your tanks? That may have spread the disease to both
Recently I have been sterilizing everything; I also have a couple of buckets, nets and siphon so I've been using the extra ones for my 30 gal.

Last edited:
The least gruesome way to kill a tropical fish is to put it in a bucket of tank water and pop it in the freezer. As the temperature drops the fish slows down and become unconscious and eventually dies. If you can add some clove oil to the water it puts the fish to sleep and it is asleep while the water gets cold.

However, if they all have it, you might as well try to treat them. Clean the tank and add heaps of salt. Add the anti-biotics when you get them and hope for the best. You can use salt and anti-biotics together.

You want 4 heaped tablespoons of salt for every 20 litres (5 gallons) of tank water. So you want 8 heaped tablespoons of salt in a 10 gallon tank.

Whoa okay. That won't burn their gills? And how long should I keep the salt in?

The least gruesome way to kill a tropical fish is to put it in a bucket of tank water and pop it in the freezer. As the temperature drops the fish slows down and become unconscious and eventually dies. If you can add some clove oil to the water it puts the fish to sleep and it is asleep while the water gets cold.

However, if they all have it, you might as well try to treat them. Clean the tank and add heaps of salt. Add the anti-biotics when you get them and hope for the best. You can use salt and anti-biotics together.
I thought I was told (by you?) That the freezer method wasn't humane?

According to some studies I read, an appropriately performed decapitate and pith was the most humane way to euthanize a fish. With that being said, many fish owners would be uncomfortable doing this procedure... Which if done wrong, isn't humane.

The second most humane way was to administer and overdose of MS-222. In the absence of this, Clove Oil was an allowed substitute. The freezing method is not considered humane in any study that I read and is not allowed by fish veterinarians in anything I read.

I always thought clove oil was the most humane method.???????? I did try freezing a fish once and it took hours before it died. I don't think I would use that method again unless I had some clove oil.

I think and look this is my opinion and I will probably get shot down for it would be to put the fish in a paper towel and put it out of it’s misery that way. The poor little sweets still have to go through the pain of the flesh eating disease eating it’s little body while slowly dying in a freezer to me that’s cruel in this situation, no offence Colin but I’d know you understand what I mean.
I’m so sorry about you fish, I was devastated reading your posts and seeing pictures. :sad:

Most reactions

Back