Colombian spotted pleco

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Falconwithaboxon

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a Colombian spotted pleco (Sailfin I believe is another name for it) and wanted to know how big of a tank I need. He is in a 45 gallon right now and I know he needs bigger than that. Around 100? He is about 5 to 6 inches right now so how long until I would need to get him a bigger tank? I'm hoping at least until spring or summer

Assuming the species is Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps, it attains close to 20 inches. A four-foot tank (often recommended) is barely twice its length and notwithstanding the fact that it is not an active swimmer, I consider this inadequate. A five or six-foot tank (whatever the volume).

Assuming the species is Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps, it attains close to 20 inches. A four-foot tank (often recommended) is barely twice its length and notwithstanding the fact that it is not an active swimmer, I consider this inadequate. A five or six-foot tank (whatever the volume).
Okay thanks

Do you know if they grow fast? Will I be good until Spring or Summer

The volume of oscar people put per gallon makes me fell much less bad about the number of small fish in my overstocked (by the rule) tank....

edit.... I thought I was replying to the other thread - but my point is still the same ;)

Okay thanks

Do you know if they grow fast? Will I be good until Spring or Summer

Fish growth rates depend upon factors like the genetics of the fish, the environment they are kept in (water parameters, water quality, space, other fish), quality of food, etc., so predicting growth is not easy as it is more than just time. But I would note that a 5-6 inch pleco (as it is now I understand) is going to produce a lot of waste and require good maintenance (water changes, etc) in a 45g tank. Obviously even if he moves into a 6-foot tank good maintenance will still be critical given the biological impact of this fish, but along the way growth can be affected.

Most reactions

Back