Cold Cathodes

Nick16

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
hi, i purchased 2 12' cold cathodes and they came with:

2 x 12” Acrylic encased Cold cathode light tubes.
1x Inverter which has 2 connections for the 2 tubes.
1x Power Cable.
1x PCI mountable Switch ON/OFF.

what do ineed to wire it up to the mains with? can anyone point me in the right direction. (i have heard an adapter mentioned??) where can i get the correct one from etc

i know there is a pinned topic but im soo confused andit all sounds like technical nonsense to me.! thanks.

Basically the pinned thread explains it all but all you need is a AC?DC power pack argos do a variable one for £9.99

Go to a local hardware/ home improvement store and ask for a universal AC/DC adapter make sure you can adjust the voltage.

hi nick.go to asda or tescos and get a a/c d/c transformer about £6 you want 1 that you can change the voltage from 3 to 12 volts

just got mine going to set it up at the weekend

no probs nick, going to do mine with a few pic to make it easy for us nbees to follow :hyper:

yeah please!! take pics of the equipmet you started and how you did it that would be great!!! i feel so dumb!

Cold Cathode Invertors run at 12vDC. They were originally designed to decorate PC towers, and also more recently as interior lighting for cars.

You will need a power supply capable of turning out 12vDC with a current rating of at least 500mA

ahh im confused. im sure i just need the cable going to the adapter (inc the adap) which them plugs somehow into the molex clips.

ahh im confused. im sure i just need the cable going to the adapter (inc the adap) which them plugs somehow into the molex clips.

the cable going the the "adapter" is the power supply as mentioned above a multi voltage supply is best other places to look for them is £steatcher, wilkinsons (aprox £3) or comet (£5-6) the Adapter is infact an inverter that allowes the cold cathodes to work, if you need this then one place i know off by hand is Maplins however the cost of a transfomer against the cost of 2x cold cathode and a transformer is negligble

take a look HERE

And HERE

if your just buying the inverter you will need to also scource the 2pin connector to connect the power supply (multi volt adapter) to the inverter, if you buy the kit it will have a wire loom with this on, all you need to do it cut it off the loom and connect the the multi volt supply.
Scott

i will get one from tescos or somewhere cheap. i do not need the inverter just the adapter which will connect it to the mains.

Most reactions

Back