Co2

fish_r_great

Especially African Cichlids
Reaction score
I thought that I might want a Co2 unit but don't want to spend $200+ on a unit so I was wondering how to make a simple one. I know rain makes hers. :D

I have both the pressurized CO2 system (55 gallon aquarium) and the yeast method (10 gallon aquarium). I didn't use the 2-liter bottle method, though many people do. For the 10 gallon, I bought the $25 bucks or so box from Petsmart that comes with the canister, activator/stabilizer packets and the bubble counter/diffuser.

Your aquarium is much larger, so I imagine the 2-liter bottle method would be best. You will have to add the mixture every-so-often depending on your setup. You will be amazed at the amount of growth with the addition of CO2.

Hopefully rain will give you tips on how she created her system. This link may help you:

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

A search for "DIY CO2" will certainly bring up a bunch of links.

But, more importantly, a search for "CarboPlus" (the product that was linked) will find you many horror stories.

Hehe, no.

More like it tends to strip almost all the hardness out of the water (both GH and KH), and usually ends up precipitating a lot of calcium out of the water -- which both falls into your tank and does a pretty good job of gunking up the $40 cartridge, which needs to be replaced (if memory serves correctly) every two to three months anyway. Even if it works well, after a year or so you'll have almost as much money invested in it to equal the cost of a pressurized CO2 system.

*** Take a big grain of salt, I don't own one of these, and not every opinion I've read about the product is completely negative. ***

Bol said:
*** Take a big grain of salt, I don't own one of these, and not every opinion I've read about the product is completely negative. ***
I wouldn't recommend the carboplus either, though I've never used it. I'd rather use the DIY yeast method or pressurized CO2. Those are two methods that haven't failed me. :thumbs:

I also wouldn't recommend the carboplus. My dad does have one currently in his discus tank.. And he is always complaining it, he has a lot of complains, but the one he always points out is the amount of CO2 it produce.

I am not 100% sure but I think he use to have 25ppm CO2 at a PH 6.6 with the carboplus he only get 15ppm at the same PH??? so I guess Bol is right it remove the little bit of KH and GH that was left in the tank

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back