Clown Plecs

cory

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
:fish: How important is wood in the diet of a clown plec? I just noticed this in the pinned thread on plecs.

I haven't had mine for long(six months), and have only fake wood in my tank. They seem happy and healthy enough....is real wood that important?

Thanks in advance for your opinions. :drink:

sorry i don't have the solution, just my own experience on the matter

I've had a clown plec for about a year now. He lives under a piece of bogwood which i often remove to syphon the gravel underneath (it's a dirt trap :) ). Anyway i've never noticed any signs of bits of it being rasped away, in fact he seems more happy pulling bits of plant under there to rot away. Also he's not shy around sinking catfish pellets either so i'm unsure how much wood he actually does eat :)

Wood provides the plec with the fibre he needs to digest his food properly. I'd expect with the easily digested, high protein fish food that domesticated fish are fed on it's a lesser issue, but it's a little like humans living on no fresh fruit or veg - they can survive on take-aways and TV dinners but would they be healthy?

:fish: Maybe I'll stick a little peice of actual bogwood in the back of the tank. My fake stuff is so awesome that I don't want to replace any of it, but, I want these clowns to be happy and healthy, so I'll do what I gotta do. :drink:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back