Clown Loaches

Drlife202

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me about Clown Loaches, i'm keen on buying 1 or 2 and i'm also keen on breeding them. Are they easy to breed? Also what size do they grow to, I would br thinking about putting them in a community tank.

Thanks,
Sam

Clown loaches grow to up to 12"/300mm although not often, still big fish, and should be kept in groups of 3 or more.

Breeding in captivity is not possible without hormone injections and requires very special techniques.

Sorry for posting this thread in the wrong place :( Also thanks for the information. So basicly Clown loaches cannot be breaded at home and also a group of 3 would be good?

Well at the momment in my community tank I have:
7 Black Neon Tetras,
1 sucking loach
3 platies
3 guppies
10 or more platie fry

I dont know if I could get theese in.

As LL says, breeding is near impossible. There is one vague report I read I while back of Clowns breeding in the average community aquarium. They showed some strange behaviour and were in a group with all fish being near maximum size.

How big is you tank?

Well my tank is around a 15g tank, not 100 % I dont think I will get them, but when I buy another tank I will. I have the information I need about them now.

I have 2 clown loaches in my 32 gallon tank right now. I realize that they will outgrow it, but that will be in at least a year and a half, and I'll have a bigger fishtank then. Would getting a 3rd one be a good or bad idea? Although it is another fish that will get big, they do like company.

Clown loaches are very slow growers and wont reach 12 inches for many years. I think that if you plan to upgrade in several years they will be fine. As far as breeding goes clown loaches dont reach sexual maturity till around 8 inches. There have been reports of them breeding in large community tanks but these are just freak occurences. Personally if I were gonna try to keep them in a tnak that size id keep the stock of the tank down.

I have never bought Clown Loaches as they grow very large and are supposed to be kept in a group. When I was a kid I always remember wanting to get them but they were too expensive plus my tanks were too small.

I think I'll go this weeked and get the 3rd clown loach, if the good LFS has a healthy looking stock. I'll also try and get them to take my CAE and see if I can get some otocinclus in return.

Most reactions

Back