The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ortizhomerun34

Reaction score
I have had a small 2.5 gallon Tank with a single betta for about two months. When I first cycled it, I noticed whitish cloudiness in the water. I have read on several forums that this is normal and should go away on its own. I added my betta after a week and have conducted regular cleanings and water changes with a water conditioner, but still have the cloudiness. I make sure not to overfeed as I understand that can be a cause. I tested the water and have found that the water is very hard and slightly alkaline, but shows no nitrates, nitrites, or chlorine.

Should I perform a substantial water change? Filter the gravel several times over a few days with smaller water changes? Let me know what the community thinks are the best steps to take to get my water clear!

Milky cloudy water is caused by uneaten food or organic matter rotting in the water.

Having an established biological filter will help to prevent this.

If you don't have a filter, then reduce feeding to 3 times a week and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 4-8 hours after feeding.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Most reactions

Back