Close Encounters Of The Green Kind

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AlexG

Reaction score
A while back I got my hands on a brand new (but older model) Rio 300 (Thanks Tony!!) and decided that I wanted plants this time. Set my mind to a low tech setup, thining it'd be the easiest way to get y hands green, so to speak.

I started of reading a lot, and getting funds together for what I wanted. Spent rather a few afternoons shopping around for various bits and pieces. This all finally came together yesterday when I was able to stop theory crafting and start to actually fill the tank up.
So in short, here you'll read the journal from a noob who is been having these weird dreams about odd shaped mountains.. and plants!

current kit list:
Rio 300 2 x t8 bulbs
added 1 x t8 bulb attached with the reflector screws through the 'back' flap
Lush midnight blue painted background
Eheim 2076 pro IIIe external filter (being the techie nerd that I am I succumbed and got the USB connector as well)
Juwel heater (the internal juwel filter one, will be replaced next pay check)

Substrate is tesco's kitty litter mixed with john innes #3, capped with B&Q play sand (ideas courtesy of Diana Walstad and these forums and past experience)

And before anyone mentions it, the heater isn't going to permanently live all """IN YOUR FACE"" in that corner, it's just temporary :)

mum in law has my old tank with an external fluval filter (204 I think) that I willcommandeer for a while. Plan is to hook up the filter alongside my eheim and transfer the fish to live in my tank for a few weeks. This will allow my filter to mature and gives me time to gut and redo her tank. A win win situation, yay!

Below some pics:

Cleaning and soaking, luckily my other half didnt kill me for doing this over 2 nights in the bath :) :
IMG_20111209_202301.jpg

Messing around with the wood and rocks. Also sitting on top of the tank, note the 3rd t8 screwed into the flap. I'm rather pleased with the light results from this addition :
IMG_20111210_170913.jpg

Finally water going in, as pointed out by Cyrus, my rather awesome and very helpful son :
IMG_20111211_201702.jpg

The tank after 24 hours of water, and some slight plant re-adjustment :
IMG_20111212_223541.jpg

Left 'top' view :
IMG_20111212_234857.jpg

Right 'top' view :
IMG_20111212_234703.jpg

'Top' view :
IMG_20111212_235438.jpg

The tank will be a community tank (fish stock list not finalized yet) and a learning to grow and KEEP plants setup.
I fully expect a lot of plant losses, but it's a learning process, and I intend to enjoy every minute of that ;)

Being the noob that I am I have a aerial view drawing of the tank, with all the plants marked where they are. This wil allow me to keep an eye what is doing well where, what isn't doing well and what I should just never grow again in a low tech setup
Current stocklist :

Anubias Hastifolla
Echinodorus Ozelot (green)
Anubias Nana
Eleocharis Parvula
Staurogyne
Vallis
Echinodoris (red devil)
Micranthermum micranthemoides
Alternanthera Roseafolia (mini)
Bacopa Amplexicaulis
Rotala Wallichii
Dracaera Sanderiana (yellow)
Java fern
Echinodoris Bleheri

there's a few on that list I dont expect to live, but hey, they looked good, who knows what will happen :)
I originally planned to get some java on the main piece of wood but decided against it for now, I kinda like the look of it as it is.

Sorry for picture overload, and their quality. I'm still getting used to my samsung nexus' camera, it's a bit jittery at times.

Well, that's all for now, comments/suggestions/criticism more then welcome!

looking nice!

there are a couple of things though...there appears to be 2 non aquatic plants in there. On the far left and far right, the ones with the variegated leaves.

You also have some red ludwigia at the front, this stem does get quite big and might not look the best at the front, it's a great background plant.

I think you've planted some java fern in your substrate, which in the long run will likely make the shizome rot - it will be much happier on wood or rock. Same goes for anubias species. I'd also warn you that without med-high light and some CO2 the dwarf hair grass will likely struggle and won't carpet as you'd wish. For your current tank I'd highly recommend crypts as ground cover plants, as they are beautiful, varied and undemanding

looking nice!

there are a couple of things though...there appears to be 2 non aquatic plants in there. On the far left and far right, the ones with the variegated leaves.

You also have some red ludwigia at the front, this stem does get quite big and might not look the best at the front, it's a great background plant.
removed/potted the dracaena, it'll make a nice plant for someone. Not changed the reds over yet, contemplating a spot for them still.

I think you've planted some java fern in your substrate, which in the long run will likely make the shizome rot - it will be much happier on wood or rock. Same goes for anubias species. I'd also warn you that without med-high light and some CO2 the dwarf hair grass will likely struggle and won't carpet as you'd wish. For your current tank I'd highly recommend crypts as ground cover plants, as they are beautiful, varied and undemanding
Will have to play the hair by ear (haha), changed the fern/anubias, which small size crypts should I be looking at?

Thanks both for your input, any other suggestions you guys have?

I can't give you any suggestions being still new to this myself, but gosh, I have to tell you, it looks beeeeeeeutiful!!! :hyper:

Looking good mate! I like it!

Cryptocoryne amicorum is a nice plant to go for. Stays small and multiplies at a nice rate.

Very nice, I hope I don't sound cheeky here, but you don't happen to have any cuttings of Staurogyne repens do you? I've been after some for ages but my only remaining option is to buy online, I'd happily pay for any as well as covering postage costs.

Thanks

Most reactions

trending

Back