Clever video about Reefing. A chuckle or two..🐠

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Stan510

Fish Herder
Reaction score
With so many mentions of therapy and mental health on the board, this one sort of stands out. I also want to point out how many electrical cords that are needed for reef tanks. My 240 gallon Rainbowfish and plants tank? Four cords. Five in winter when I plug the heater back in.

Wow thats a lot to do!

Yup, just about right, lol.

I also want to point out how many electrical cords that are needed for reef tanks.
Yes, a ton more than freshwater. Lights (you usually need 2-3 just for that), powerheads, (2-4 for a bigger tank) pump, heater, skimmer, ATO, reefugium light, dosing station, etc etc

Yup, just about right, lol.

Yes, a ton more than freshwater. Lights (you usually need 2-3 just for that), powerheads, (2-4 for a bigger tank) pump, heater, skimmer, ATO, reefugium light, dosing station, etc etc
I laughed cause that is too many fricking things!!

Freshwater aquarists smile at newbies, who seem to think that all you need to do is to add fish to a bowl of water and throw some food in occasionally.
Saltwater aquarists smile at Freshwater aquarists, who seem to think that all you need to do is to add salt to a tank of water and throw some food in occasionally.

Freshwater aquarists smile at newbies, who seem to think that all you need to do is to add fish to a bowl of water and throw some food in occasionally.
Saltwater aquarists smile at Freshwater aquarists, who seem to think that all you need to do is to add salt to a tank of water and throw some food in occasionally.
So true

You left out King that modern reef tanks have those computer modules..and none does all..you need one for pumps,lights,.etc,etc,etc ,as Yul once said.

You left out King that modern reef tanks have those computer modules..and none does all..you need one for pumps,lights,.etc,etc,etc ,as Yul once said.
Blue tooth is awesome. You can control your dosing stations, powerheads, lights, flow, etc all from your phone. Most people also have a live stream camera that they can access anywhere in the world, so they can check in on their tank while they are away from home.

If you have an APEX system, you can also check your water parameters from your phone.

Most people also have a live stream camera that they can access anywhere in the world, so they can check in on their tank while they are away from home.
check in to see for what?
their tanks half empty after a leak, being too far away to do anything, with nobody there to help?
sometimes i think saltwater keepers are really overdoing it
there's nothing awesome about bluetooth and its crazy effect on price because you get cut off if you go too far away

I think we left out CO2 scrubbers and also algae scrubbers. I can never get used to a reefers aquarium stand lit up down below for growing the algae.

check in to see for what?
their tanks half empty after a leak, being too far away to do anything, with nobody there to help?
sometimes i think saltwater keepers are really overdoing it
there's nothing awesome about bluetooth and its crazy effect on price because you get cut off if you go too far away
My goodness, have you ever kept saltwater? You seen be arguing with me about saltwater related topics, when you probably have never even kept it.

It’s not so much a tank leaking (if you get a GOOD quality one. This means an actual name brand, not just a tank from PetCo) rather than the coral. If they seem to be shrinking up a little bit, the user can reduce flow and/or lighting via his phone, when he’s away from the house.

Apex systems are frickin awesome, because all you have to do is look at your phone and BOOM, all of your parameters are right there. Apex has a super accurate way of measuring parameters as well, so you don’t have to worry about getting inaccurate readings.

DHL dosing stations are also super helpful, because you don’t have to manually dose every week. You can control all of that from your phone.

Why get a crusty 10 year old manual powerhead, when you can get a EcoTech MP40w? Magnetic drive, so you have no cords in the tank, super sleek looking.

Why get 20 year old T5 bulbs when you could get Radion G5’s that you can control intensity, ramp up, and color spectrum, all from your phone?

Why make a cheap DIY sump that looks like this
202F6937-8149-413E-A270-6ACBADA27984.jpeg

When you could spend a little extra and have a beautiful sump like this
4E2FAC4E-D239-4223-9D3D-490C8B6FFD4B.jpeg

—-

Sure you can setup a “low budget” reef, but the difference is extremely clear:
66D04AF8-D9C9-4AD0-8D1D-EAF282A81AC7.jpeg

4F40D47D-E394-47DF-BEA2-EFB25389EF2C.jpeg

If the aquarist is looking for something like the first picture, then by all means go ahead. But months down the road, you will wish you would have spent that little bit of extra money to pay for a good tank, stand, and equipment.

I can never get used to a reefers aquarium stand lit up down below for growing the algae.
That’s called a refugium. A refugium’s purpose is to dramatically lower nitrate and phosphate levels (which cause stunted coral growth and algae spikes) and to provide a home for creatures such as pods, which will later feed the fish. You fill the refugium with an algae (beneficial) such as Chaeto. The refugium usually has a low-medium powered LED light that is responsible for growing the Chaeto out, providing more space for the pods to reproduce, along with reducing nitrates and phosphates even more.

price because you get cut off if you go too far away
It’s not only Bluetooth. Most systems hook into your WiFi, so you can control it from miles away. A good friend of mine was able to fully control his tank was states away. As long as you have good home internet, and strong cell service, you will be just fine.

If the aquarist is looking for something like the first picture, then by all means go ahead. But months down the road, you will wish you would have spent that little bit of extra money to pay for a good tank, stand, and equipment.
i never said to go as low as the "first picture"
are you saying that you can't create a sleek tank without pouring thousands and thousands into super high-tech features?
ok, though, i'll try to never participate in discussion about saltwater on this forum again, since i have no experience
edit: this forum is turning more and more aggressive rather than calm discussion every day

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back