Cleaner Shrimp Breeding?

orange shark

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi all,

Is it possible to breed cleaner shrimp in captivity? Im asking because one of mine is holding eggs and am wondering whether to expect baby shrimp or not :lol:

Thanks,

orange shark

Possible, but EXCEPTIONALLY difficult. Expect yours to be eaten or consumed by filters

they are very slow growers. my LFS did it agesss ago. Theirs are just an inch long now. Months old aswel

Ive heard Peppermint Shrimps are easy as hell to breed and they are in the same class as skunk cleaners and fire shrimp...wether thats true for the others i dont know.

seems like once they start laying eggs they keep it going but i agree with ski fletch the eggs will probably get eaten and caught in filters

seems like once they start laying eggs they keep it going but i agree with ski fletch the eggs will probably get eaten and caught in filters

Am I incorrect in thinking that the shrimp will carry the eggs around until they hatch? I'm pretty sure it's a universal shrimp(and anything else in the pleocyemata suborder) thing.

If you want to attempt to raise the larvae I would separate the female into a smaller tank a few days before the eggs are about to hatch, then put her back in the display once she has given birth. These pages go into much further detail.

Hope this can help.

just an update...

turns out both of my cleaner shrimp are holding eggs, im taking this as a sign that my tank is doing fine...

another question...

do the parents eat the baby shrimp or is it just the fish that are a danger to them?

thanks,

orange shark

I don't think they would but I wouldn't put it past them. The powerheads and such are more likely to be the doom of the larvae than the parents, and fish will definitely eat them.

Are you going to try to raise them?

no I dont think so, but if they keep breeding then maybe i will do one day...

What sort of cleaner shrimp do you have?
Peppermint shrimp, (Lysmata wurdemani) are easy to raise, but Skunk Cleaner shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis) and Blood Cleaner shrimp (Lysmata debelius) are hard to raise.
Peppermints can be reared up on newly hatched brineshrimp and will grow rapidly for a month or so before metamorphosing and settling on the bottom. Then they grow like a normal shrimp.
Skunks and Blood shrimp breed the same but need something besides brineshrimp if you want them to metamorphose and settle to the bottom. I think they need fish eggs and fish fry to metamorphose. I was going to try using freeze dry fish eggs as part of their diet but never got around to it. Soak the freeze dry eggs for a few minutes in sea water so they sink. Then add a few to the larvae tank.
These cleaner shrimp are hermaphrodites and are both male and female. When a shrimp moults the male will breed with the one that has moulted and fertilise the eggs. When the second shrimp moults, the first one will fertilise the 2nd shrimps eggs. It sounds a bit confusing but they produce eggs when they moult and the shrimp they haven't moulted act as males and fertilise the new eggs.

The eggs hatch at night and the mother climbs to a high point in the tank and lifts her tail up. Then she moves her swimeretts back and forth in an attempt to dislodge the larvae. They then float around the tank until they get eaten by the fish and corals. The adults shrimp don't normally bother the larvae.
If you have the shrimp in a tank without any fish or corals, and use an air operated sponge filter in the tank, then you can usually scoop the larvae out the following morning.
Keep the larvae in a small shallow container under a light. Add a small amount of newly hatched brineshrimp each day. Change the water in the containers each day.
If you give the larvae the correct diet and keep their water clean, they will grow and change into little shrimp.

wow colin, great information now...no chance i will be getting lucky and accidentaly raising them :lol:

thanks,

orange shark

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back