Cichlid Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

NeonTetraFish64500

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I saw a 25 gallon fish tank and I would really like to start a cichlid tank. I would like some smaller cichlids. Any advice on stocking and general advice would be greatly appreciated. I have lots of white aquarium gravel and sand substrate so which one should I use? How deep? I also have access to river rocks so that won't be a problem.
Thanks!

I just looked at some african cichlid species and saw a South American species called a ram cichlid. I know that they apparently can't go with african cichlids but has anyone done so with problems? I know someone that kept them together with no problems but I'm not very sure if I want to take the risk.

South american & african cichlids should not be mixed since they usually have different water requirements. I would choose one or the other. Which african cichlids were you looking at?

If you are planting the tank I would make sure the substrate is 2-3" deep, if not it can just be 1-2".
I would also go for a darker substrate than white as the white usually washes out fishes color, while something dark like black will make their colors stand out.

Is your water soft or hard?

My water is hard and I was wanting to get something like electric yellow cichlid and angelfish, Etc.

In a 25 gallon tank with hard water your best with Africans. The tank is not big enough for Electic Yellows or Angelfish (and those two are not compatible to be honest, the Electric Yellows would destroy they Angels).

Generally speaking for normal African Cichlid tanks you need a tank of 55-75 gallon tanks to start them off, thats the minimum but you could look at a group of what are known as Shell Dwelling Cichlids from Lake Tanganyika, this is a good page with the species on http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/category.php?cat=14 so you can see what are available to you.

The other option is dwarf American cichlids but they need soft water and at least a neutral ph - do you know what your ph is?

Wills

I may be getting a 33 gallon tank. I know someone that kept cichlids in a thirty gallon w no problem. My ph is 7ppm. I was looking at veil tail angelfish. Are there any other small angelfish?

Angels can be kept in a 29 to 33 gallon tank, but really only two when they mature. Main reason being two or more males together in this "minimal size" tank is going to end up too stressful for the weaker male,whereas he will get sick.  Sometimes females will put up with each other..sometimes it is worse than males. We are talking "mature "adults here..you can keep say seven "quarter size youngsters in a 30 gallon until they begin to pair up, spar, spawn and develop territorial attitudes.That being said..a lot depends on the personality of individual fish,..but in a tank that size,..I suggest kribensis, rams,or as was mentioned,shellies from Tanguanica. I believe shellies need hard water..others don't..but would be okay in your params.

Rather than giving the volume of your tanks, it would be more useful to give the dimensions (length, height and width).
Pretty much all angelfish you find in shops will grow to the same size so there isn't really such a thing as a small angelfish. Given that angelfish are quite tall fish, you're going to want a tank that is at least 3ft long and 20" high. If you want to keep multiple angelfish then an even larger tank would be required unless they were a mating pair.

If you are leaning towards African cichlids then my advice would be to go with a shelldweller tank like Wills said. Other than that, it may be possible to go with a small group of Saulosi cichlids or something of a similar size. I would wait for someone more knowledgeable about African Cichlids to confirm this though.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back