Cichlid start up

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

wherryj

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
We're considering jumping back into cichlids after previously having had Dempseys about 15 years ago.

I've got a 55 gallon with barbs running smoothly for the past 6 months, so I'm feeling more confident about this.

My question is: Is a 70 gallon pentagon large enough? We're thinking about electric blue haps (and probably electric yellows since I've heard that the blues don't tolerate other blue fish very well).

I've heard that it's recommended to keep at least a dozen, and that they require a minimum of 5 gallons per fish.

This would be 75 gallons. With proper filtration, and frequent water changes, is this considered an adequate aquarium? I'm also unsure because the shape is somewhat unusual. Does this give adequate room to swim for this particular fish?

im not verry familiar with this tank shape how tall is it? i have seen some pretty unsuitable hex tanks that go 6' up and are only about 1' - 2' wide and i have seen some that are much wider and shorter. as alltho the volume might be enough the hight would give a better idea of the environment. i would say that it would be fine if it was less than 2' high. but i think someone like cm would be a better judge on this one. hope you get many replys.

My understanding with Cichlids of this type is that it's more the merrier. :unsure:

I beleive that you can pack them in to decrease their territorial behaviour as long as you do regular water changes and have an adequate filter system for the amount and size of fish.

Let's wee what else is said? :rolleyes:

i think he means Labidochromis caeruleus. Electric yellow is what they are called in the stores.

well as for packing them in to reduce their terratorial behavior i have something to add on a personal experience leval. i have a pack of firemouths and yea they do stick together in a little gang like a bunch of monkeys and hang around this peice of bogwood i have. unfortuanately i have two other types of firemouth that are i think making a home out of a horrid looking pink ornament and they are chasing the common firemouth pack into a corner and hoggin the whole tank looks like im going to have to moove some of my fish to make this all work a little better so much for picking fish for my new tank. not so much a speicies tank as a breed tank :(

jamnog - firemouths are of the central/south american grouping. the packing them in to reduce their aggression does nothing for this type of cichlid. overstocking works on the african mbuna cichlids.

hexes are not good since the footprint of the tank is small. the footprint of the tank is the bottom area of the tank. the larger the footprint, the more fish that are allowed. since africans are more aggressive you will need to establish hiding spots for the females with overzealous males. the hex footprint of the tank is basicaly a small oval, not enough area to establish different territories in the tank. hexes are best used, imo, for angels.

semper fi

Yes, I meant "electric yellow hap".

It's a slang term, I agree, but easier to type than genus and species....

The pentagon is 24" high, and about 40" across the front, about 24" deep. It's not a "show" tank, so it should mostly maximize surface area, but might limit the amount of actual swimming length since it doesn't have a long rectangular run.

Anyone have experience with haps?

semper fi said:
jamnog - firemouths are of the central/south american grouping. the packing them in to reduce their aggression does nothing for this type of cichlid. overstocking works on the african mbuna cichlids.

hexes are not good since the footprint of the tank is small. the footprint of the tank is the bottom area of the tank. the larger the footprint, the more fish that are allowed. since africans are more aggressive you will need to establish hiding spots for the females with overzealous males. the hex footprint of the tank is basicaly a small oval, not enough area to establish different territories in the tank. hexes are best used, imo, for angels.

semper fi
semper sorry i think you missunderstood i mean getting a shoel in there as you can see from the tank linked in my sig im hardly overstocking having 7 firemouth cichlids in a 48x15x20 tank along with a few others fish and as for the pair of jewels they are in a 48x12x15 so they are hardly cramped but in terms of packing them in there when i had the 9 in one of those tanks they where the most cichlids i have kept in one place at one time and well it worked pretty well for most of the firemouths tho there are some petty internal squabbles and untill the pair got all fired up they where fine too. i would not think of over stocking at this early stage in the tanks development. so sory misunderstanding :/ ;)

wherryj,

The Copadichromis azureus and the Scienochromis fryeri (or Hap ahli as it used to be known) IMO would not thrive is this type of tank. Although the water volume is adequate, the room is not.

C. azureus and S. fryeri get rather large at 8" and are not overly aggressive, but can get that way.

The labidochromis caeruleus or electric yellow would be a good choice however for this tank. Their maximum size is relatively small at 4-4.5".

HTH...

CM

In any type of hex tank i think either angels as semper fi said or puffers would definately be my first choice. A bunch of puffers in a hex would be tight.

Just an idea for ya of course ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back