🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hello TFF people! :)

I have been wanting to get some Christmas moss, for my soon to be Cherry shrimp, and I had a couple of questions....

Do they require Co2?

Do they require high lighting?

Do they require root tabs, to stay alive?

And now some questions about "Moss balls"

I know the "Common" moss balls aren't actually moss, they are algae. And pretty much the sam questions apply for the CM, and the Moss balls.

Thank you for your time! :) :thanks:

Christmas Moss/ Java Moss doesn't need bright light, CO2 or fertiliser, but it does grow faster if given good light and some liquid iron based aquarium plant fertiliser.

No idea about the moss balls because we don't get them here.

Mosses are usually grown on decor so a liquid fertiliser is used - you can't use root tabs with something attached to decor.
According to various websites Christmas moss is more demanding than Java moss - it needs more light and most people grow it in tanks with added CO2.

Java moss is easier. Mine escaped from where I tried to grow it and it has attached itself all over my low tech aquarium.

Moss balls are usually grown as balls though they can be opened and attached to decor. Again, you can't use root tabs so you have to use liquid fertiliser. Moss balls should be turned regularly to keep them in shape.

Thank you both! So Java moss is the better way to go?

So moss balls can be grown on decor too? I mainly want to get the moss, so my shrimp have a good place to “hang out”. :)

(Any suggested liquid fertilizers?) :)

I use the one recommended by Byron - Seachem Flourish comprehensive supplement for the planted aquarium. But because I have a low tech tank (low light, no CO2, slow growing plants apart from the floating water sprite) I use it at half dose.

Talking of water sprite, my shrimps like to hang out in the roots of that plant.

Moss balls are usually spread out over rocks rather than wood etc. Anything with a roundish shape. Though most often they are left as balls on the bottom of the tank.

Thank you for clearing that up. :)

So is Seachem better than something like, API? :)

According to Byron, the Seachem one contains more trace elements than most other brand. Of all the minerals plants need it is only missing one of them - though I've forgotten which one that is :oops:

I have heard that it will kill them, but I never use Co2. To advanced for me. :)

I will look into that Seachem stuff. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back