Chipped Glass

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hamsnacks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
While moving the 225 today we some how chipped away at the front panel edge and did some serious damage. Now it looks like it's only from the outside, didn't go all the way through.

It's a 6' x 2' panel, 1/2" thick.

I know the proper thing to do is replace the front panel for about $500.

BUT realistically is it salvagable?

I have a friend that is saying, seal it all up with the strongest commerical epoxy from outside and then install a trim on top to cover it all.

I know and understand, the proper way is not risking it but what do you guys think? Doable?

Pictures attached

http://imgur.com/gallery/sBMqL2h

Thanks

I’d be afraid to try it with a tank that big. Can put it in the yard and fill it up for a week and see how it does? I realize the cost involved. Sorry that happened to you.

How far up the glass does the damage go?

You can replace the front panel if you like, or you can patch the tank. You can put a strip of glass on the inside in the front corner and silicon it in place. The strip will need to be about 4 inches wide x the height of the tank (inside dimensions) x the same thickness as the normal tank glass (about 1/2 inch thick). It would be about 23 inches x 4 inches x 1/2 inch thick.

Hone/ smooth the glass edges on the patch/ strip before putting it in the tank. The glass shop can do this or get some fine sand paper and use a sanding block (piece of wood) and gently rub over the edges of the glass to remove the sharp edges.
*NB* Wear safety glasses and a dust mask when doing this.

Clean/ remove any old silicon on the front or side glass in the corner, but leave the silicon that is holding the front and side panels together.

You silicon the glass strip (4inch bit) on the front sheet of glass and run a thick bead of silicon along the edge (1/2 inch thick bit) and stick it to the side and font panels. Silicon around the edges and let it dry for a week. Then set it up.

*NB* Do not inhale the fumes when using the silicon because you will pass out. Make sure there is plenty of air flow in the room when using the silicon.

If the back of the tank isn't painted and has no scratches you can use the damaged side as the back so you don't notice the patch.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back