Chichlid Tank And Algae

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fish Buddy

Fish Addict
Reaction score
My cousin's 30gallon (US) tank has a fluorescent light and is growing brown algae. What fish would eat the algae and survive the African cichlids living in it?

Not alot that I can think of, typically fish like Oto's are good at removing brown algae but i wouldnt advise those for cichlids. Just take out rocks/plants etc now and then and give them a scrub :)

i use bristle nose pleco's with cichlids with no problems, oto's would be killed though
CAE loach or sucking loach are fine with them as well.

oto's would be killed though

I have at least 5 oto cats in my mbuna tank and they are doing fine...although I do believe this is the exception rather than the rule and hence, wouldn't suggest it either.

So a 5" bristle nose would be ok- the 'whiskers' won't be eaten off?

No, it should be able to retain its bristlenose status in a cichlid tank...or at least with some/most cichlids...although, they wouldnt be the answer to brown algae (diatoms). Although, I feel very strongly that we are not doing ourselves, or our fish, any justice by stocking a tank with fish that we would not buy if they could not perform some sort of 'job', such as eating algae. As SJ2K points out, removing this algae is rather easy by removing the plants, perhaps during water changes (which would help with gravel vacuuming) and wiping them off.

If adding a pleco, your cousin should also be aware that he/she would eventually need to suppliment its diet as well since most of our tanks do not grow/provide enough of the right types of algae with absolute certainty.

What African Cichlids does he have? In some cases, algae is desirable in a cichlid tank.

oto's would be killed though

I have at least 5 oto cats in my mbuna tank and they are doing fine...although I do believe this is the exception rather than the rule and hence, wouldn't suggest it either.

LOL their's always some one how forget's to show their fish the books... Just dont tell your cichlids that they should not be quite so nice to the otto's

As for a large pleco, i find they get lazy sometimes, I'll say get 2 small fish and they should be fine.

Another way is to limit the lighting... Instead of having it on all day or for like 12hours a day, limit it to about 4-6hours, fish don't need the light to survive, it's just for your convience to see them.

The tank is stocked with:
2 electric blue
1 phillabornia marmalade
2 peacock ‘red shoulder’
1 Gephyrochromis moori
4 accei

But maybe I should just tell her to reduce the lighting.

to be honest, I have brown algae in most of my tanks, I only scrub it off of the front pane of glass, it isn't detremental to the health of the fish.

Actually, I think the first thing that should be addressed is the fish. None of those fish are suitable for a 30gal tank, the algae is nothing compared to the stocking problem.

2 electric blue - this common name is given to around 6 different species, the most common is Sciaenochromis fryeri, a hap, carnivore, adult size 7", min tank 75gal

1 phillabornia marmalade - not sure what this is, google didn't even have any suggestions

2 peacock 'red shoulder' - Aulonocara stuartgranti (Chiloelo), peacock, carnivore, adult size 6", min tank size 75gal

1 Gephyrochromis moori - mbuna, carnivore, adult size 4.5", min tank size 4-ft.

4 accei - Pseudotropheus acei - mbuna, herbivore, adult size 7", min tank size 75gal

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back