Cherry Shrimp And Ghost Shrimp

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

bluesword23516

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I was wondering if ghost shrimp and cherry shrimp can live in the same tank? I have five small cherry shrimp and would like to add more shrimp if they don't get much larger. 

Yes they can coexist.. Your cherry shrimp will grow its colony fast.

what filter are you using? What does your tank water parameters look like?

Need a little more info, does your tank have live plants (or plastic even) decor, wood, etc?

All shrimps do tend to hide a lot if in a new tank or feeling unsettled to threatened by a large fish for example.

Might even be good to know what size your tank is.

Both Red Cherry and Amano Shrimps tend to be the hardiest species of shrimps, more forgiving to water parameters than most.
So if you could let us know what your water parameters are, that may help in determining if this is a cause for your shrimp disappearance.

Also could you let us know if this tank has been running for any length of time? as shrimps do better in an established tank.

For your info - http://www.planetinverts.com/Red%20Cherry%20Shrimp.html

Ch4rlie said:
Need a little more info, does your tank have live plants (or plastic even) decor, wood, etc?

All shrimps do tend to hide a lot if in a new tank or feeling unsettled to threatened by a large fish for example.

Might even be good to know what size your tank is.

Both Red Cherry and Amano Shrimps tend to be the hardiest species of shrimps, more forgiving to water parameters than most.
So if you could let us know what your water parameters are, that may help in determining if this is a cause for your shrimp disappearance.

Also could you let us know if this tank has been running for any length of time? as shrimps do better in an established tank.

For your info - http://www.planetinverts.com/Red%20Cherry%20Shrimp.html
Guppies and Neon tetras as tank mates. The tank is about 40 US gallons.
 I checked the parameters two days ago. Ammonia 0-.25ppm (slightly green, not much) nitrite 0ppm nitrate 40 PH 7.6 (could be the higher one, but I never checked, but it was really close to the 7.6) 
I have had my tank up for at least six months. I think it might even have been a year. It was just one that was free in my neighborhood because the lady who owned it had passed away. 
My filter is not a sponge filter. I did see one shrimp today, she was chilling on the filter.  My filter isn't a fast one, she went over the holes just fine.
I have lots of new live plants (melting and getting new growth, yay!) and a few fake plants and logs. 

All sounds pretty much spot on.

As mentioned earlier, shrimps are pretty good at hiding in tanks, especially in a 40 gal :lol:

But do double check the ammonia levels, shrimps are particularly sensitive to parameters, but this may well be down to the test kit, test your tap water, if its the same reading, then probably is just be the test kit.

Ok, sounds good. Thanks :) And I have a hospital tank, but it has no filter. I am assuming I should put my shrimp in there before adding them to the tank. How would I keep them fed and alive? I have frog pellets I can feed them, should I grow some algae on a rock and use that? 

No, do not put them in the hospital tank, they need a established tank to be in.

You can feed shrimps with algae wafers or shrimp food, there are usually some in LFS.

But they will also happily munch on leftover fish food and algae thats in your tank.

You can grow algae on rocks but not essential to do that, they will find food in your tank.

Am confused though, I thought you already have shrimps?

Especially when you said this ...

bluesword23516 said:
I can't seem to find them today.
sad.png
I think they are gone. 

Were you speaking of looking for them at LFS and they were sold out?

Sorry. I got five red cherry shrimp, but I haven't seen any lately except for one. I would like to buy ghost shrimp as well if my cherry shrimp are gone and/or don't breed.  But I worry about putting them strait into my main tank. They will be with other fish at the store and if those ones are sick the shrimp can bring it in.

I have ghosts and cherry in the same tank, with guppies and otos. They all get along well. Except EVERYONE, fish or shrimp, are afraid of "big momma" ghost shrimp, who is about 1/8" shy of being two full inches!

Cherries are VERY hardy! Before I knew what the cycle was, I had two in a 2.5gallon, before upgrading to a 10, and then a 20. But my two cherries survived from the day I put water into the tank, and still going strong. Use drip acclimation and you probably wont lose any ever as well, I havent lost one shrimp from acclimate or stress of move.

Forgot to add: they breed pretty readily as well, I had one berry and deliver babies, before my cycle had completed. Since then, population has exploded, even more so than my guppies!

I have ghosts and cherry in the same tank, with guppies and otos. They all get along well. Except EVERYONE, fish or shrimp, are afraid of "big momma" ghost shrimp, who is about 1/8" shy of being two full inches!

Cherries are VERY hardy! Before I knew what the cycle was, I had two in a 2.5gallon, before upgrading to a 10, and then a 20. But my two cherries survived from the day I put water into the tank, and still going strong. Use drip acclimation and you probably wont lose any ever as well, I havent lost one shrimp from acclimate or stress of move.

Forgot to add: they breed pretty readily as well, I had one berry and deliver babies, before my cycle had completed. Since then, population has exploded, even more so than my

This ghost shrimp sound more like an Amano shrimp.

Amanos grow to around 2 inches and usually the females are larger than male amanos.

I have 4 amanos, 2 males and 2 females in one 5 gallon tank with RCS and never had issues, bonus of amanos is that they won’t breed in freshwater as the shrimp fry need brackish water to survive.

In fact most species of shrimps will be fine with any other shrimp species as long as their water parameters are suitable to coexist in same water column.

@Ch4rlie these are actual pictures of the two ghosts in my tank. I think they sometimes call them glass shrimp as well? These pix were taken nearly two months ago though. They ha e grown immensely since then. The big one is nearly twice the size of a lot of my RCS, and is massive compared to the juvenile RCS.

20180406_162016.jpg

20180406_161826.jpg

20180306_153139.jpg

_______

>>>The amanos at the LFS here, look more rounded and have a slight brown tint, and symmetrical dots. That's also what I see on google when I type Amano, like the next pic below.>>>
Amano_Shrimp_2_1024x1024.jpg

Seems you’re correct in that looks more like a ghost/glass shrimp rather than an amano.

Was hard for me to determine that before I saw your pictures, just that when you mentioned your ghost were nearly 2 inches I automatically thought amano since I keep these shrimps as well.

Apologies for the mix up.

However, I’d suggest you look up macrobrachium just to be sure it’s not one of those as they do grow rather large and do look eerily similar to ghost/glass shrimps when they (macrobrachium) are juveniles.

A simple google search should come up with some decent pictures and do compare the front pincers / forearms between the macros and ghost just to be sure of what you have in your tank.

Extremely common for LFS to mix these up with ghost shrimps due to how macros look when young juveniles.

Reckon you do have ghost shrimp judging from your pics but always worth double checking.

And a good site for basic information for shrimps -

http://www.planetinverts.com/ghost_glass_grass_shrimp.html

Ya. I was concerned I had macros as well, after reading horror stories. However they do not have the same pinchers as the macros. The ghosts can reach 2" full grown, and one of mine is just shy of that. Plus, neither of them are aggressive at all, they have caused no injuries to the fish or other shrimp that I have seen. I believe it's just the sheer size of her that scares the other creatures.

I didnt mean to hijack the thread at all. My apologies.

To reiterate on OP original question, cherry's and ghosts coincide well, however I've heard that ghosts will eat newborn cherries, and I believe it, as I've had a few RCS batches that should have been large, and only a few made it to adulthood. As for size, my largest ghost shrimp is almost twice as long, and is more than twice as big around, as my largest RCS. My tank is also heavily planted, with driftwood as well, so lots of places to hide, and respective species to have their own territory.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back