Check out my outdoor Molly pond! Plant filtered only.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

But it looks like cardinals like softer water than Molly’s do
Yes they do, I would say rehome the mollies and get more fish suitable to your water, but it seems like you really like the mollies, so I say, leave the mollies, just dont get anymore. If you want more fish get soft water fish :)

Yes they do, I would say rehome the mollies and get more fish suitable to your water, but it seems like you really like the mollies, so I say, leave the mollies, just dont get anymore. If you want more fish get soft water fish :)
I’m curious now so I’ll check the pond water and see what the hardness actually is. The pond has a deep gravel bed so I wonder if the minerals can leach in and contribute any hardness. The truth is they are all extremely active, with no deaths or sickness that I have seen.

That is crazy cool!

I would love to have a pond like that some day. :)

I keep livebearers (and sometimes other aquarium fish) outdoors during the better months of the year for over 30 years now. Always fun! But because of our climate I have to harvest them in fall and keep them indoors till the next year somewhere in spring.
And there's just substrate on the bottom and pond plants in there and no mechanical filtration nor a heater.

I keep livebearers (and sometimes other aquarium fish) outdoors during the better months of the year for over 30 years now. Always fun! But because of our climate I have to harvest them in fall and keep them indoors till the next year somewhere in spring.
And there's just substrate on the bottom and pond plants in there and no mechanical filtration nor a heater.
That’s cool, nature is amazing. We live in a very temperate area so with the heater they overwintered very well.

Is it hard to view them from the top good? Or is it more cool? :)

The black ones all but disappear. But they all are very friendly and swarm up whenever there’s something interesting going on. They love to nibble my fingers and will swim into my hand. It’s like having very small koi especially the colors. The bloodfin tetras on the other hand, zoom around lower down even when feeding, and days can go by without seeing them.

That’s cool, nature is amazing. We live in a very temperate area so with the heater they overwintered very well.
It sure is amazing... Unfortunately, we do have a different climate. Otherwise I would keep them outdoors all year long. But it depends on the kind of species which ones will stay outdoors longer. Certain goodeids, platies and swordtails prefer lower temperatures. So, those are the ones that will enter the outdoor tubs sooner and will be harvested last.
Depends on how high they'll swim wether you can see them well. But to me it looks way more natural to watch them from the top. But that's something personal...

Btw that is a great video! What types of plants do you have in there?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back