The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lgarvey

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I just purchased this item: -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COMPLETE-REFUGIUM-MUD-FILTER-300-NANO_W0QQitemZ370207263632QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Fish?hash=item5632128b90

It'll fit perfectly on my nano tank, and I've been thinking about a refugium or sump for some time, but I didn't fancy an overflow box, or trying to drill the tank for a sump.

I'm wondering about the best way to set this up. I assume the bio balls should be ditched, but the miracle mud is good to make something of a DSB?

Also I hear that cheato is better than caulopera as an algae as it doesn't release spores? The other thing, I plan to run the light 24/7 so there isn't a Ph swing as the algae takes in oxygen at night.

I hope to be able to feed the crabs some of the algae as it grows.

Anyway, I had a nano skimmer but it was useless, but I think this could do much better?

As always, your advise is appreciated!

Cheers,
L

OK, always conflicting advice, but... inspite of wanting a bunch of cheato, I ended up with caulopera and some other stuff (red coloured). It is what the LFS had. They said they rarely have Cheato for sale, and find it's not as good as Caulopera at filtering the water.

They said to prevent it going asexual break off strands when it gets long, so I'll keep an eye on it. Also as I intend to feed my emrald crab and possibly hermits some of the stuff, I should be reasonably aware of what stage of growth it is at, hopefully.

On the ebay page I bought the 'fuge from it says to run the light continuously to prevetn that, but I thought running the light helped balance pH and keep the water oxygenated through the night.

I am REALLY excited about running a 'fuge with MM & macro algae, plus a huge helping of bio balls, and am keen to see what effect it has on the nitrates.

Question - bio balls or Live rock rubble? And if I added LRR would it cause an ammonia spike in the tank? Does it need to be matured elsewhere?

Thanks!

L

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back