Chat Suggestion?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

PlecMama

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Would it be possible to start a new chat room that is about fish?

I have been to the FF chat room but there's no fish talk at all, and I think perhaps if we opened another that was about fish it would be used more?

While it is a "fun" place to be if you are a happy chatter, it isn't really for people who want to talk about fish. Anyone else think so too? Of course the original board would stay in place, and I know I could create another, but it should really be endorsed by this forum so people could have a link and know where to go for actual fish-talk.

What do you think?

It really depends on the day and time you're in there.. .and of course who else is in the room at the time as to whether or not the convo is about fish or mindless fun. I find that there's been lots of fish talk lately.. at least the last few times I've been in the room.

I know the past few times i've been in there, there are members who go over board posting jokes, to the point it is spam, or just over all being obnoxious if the conversation wasn't going the way they wanted to. :/ It was really quite annoying

if you want to talk about fish, simpley ask a question about fish or start a conversation :)

DD

Or indeed, gather those who wish to talk about fish, and all type /join #fishtalk , or a # of your choice. Note, first person to join, gets ops.

know the past few times i've been in there, there are members who go over board posting jokes, to the point it is spam, or just over all being obnoxious if the conversation wasn't going the way they wanted to. It was really quite annoying

And this is why you can use the /ignore [nickname] function.

There is generally lots of fish talk at various points during the evening, but it does get boring when we talk about fish all the time.

The room is meant to be a fun place to chat and you will find that the topics swing wildly. We tend to start talking about fish, then it'll switch to something someone saw on the way to the LFS, which will lead to something else.....

It's just the same with chat in real life - gets boring if you stick to one topic.

As feeshy says, if you want to talk specifically about fish and there's too much going on in the room, please feel free to PM someone by double clicking on their name on start your own room and ask people to come over.

The same happens when there's too much fish chat and we need a break - #nofishchat can frequently be found for those who are interested
:D

No, I don't want to have a fight about the current room and what goes on there, I'm well aware of how to start a private conversation, and how to start a new room. I asked if the board would consider creating another room solely for talking about fish. There's nothing wrong with the current place for chat, and chat rooms are meant to be for chat, but a room dedicated to only fish talk might be a nice idea.

but a room dedicated to only fish talk might be a nice idea.

All you need do for that is decide a room name, for instance #fishchat, and make it so that it is a constant room. As long as everyone knows about it, theres nothing stopping you from using any old room to talk just about fish.

The problem with your idea is that there would never be anyone in there. People go into the live chat to talk about random stuff. But most of those people know a good bit about fish. So if someone needs a question answered quick they can go in there interupt the random conversation and ask a fish question. I've done it dozens of times. The random chat is what keeps the chat room full of knowledgable fish people.

That's okay Suzie, I didn't think you were. :)

I don't see why they shouldn't consider it, however it would need to have an op there permantly, or a bot, to ensure it was fish only. We were talking about something similar in chat a couple of hours ago, but more to prevent spamming and bad language etc than to stick to fish.

Not sure how it would work for fish in practice.
:unsure:

That's okay Suzie, I didn't think you were

I don't know how that fits in. But seeing as no one is really interested in a fish board, just chat, that's ok.

The room is meant to be a fun place to chat
Actually, it's initial purpose was to get in touch with each other to deal with fishy matters in a timely fashion. That's all I have to say on the subject.

I'm often in the chatroom in the early evenings and more than happy to talk about fish, provided its not livebearers or bettas.

Most reactions

Back