Channa-ornatipinnis Have Laid Eggs..drawf Snakeheads

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

wow these are amazing, how did they take to being taken out, and have you had any new spawns

no more spawn's as of yet, have sold around 30, parents go funny when i remove them but get over it.....Keep in contact with the people who have brought them and all are doing great, delivering another 15 next week by post :good:
hopefully once they are all sold off i shall preform a small waterchange and hopefully the lack of fry and fresh water may stimulate them into breeding again :unsure:

These were the babie's i swapped for the new channa collection i have now, there growing so much more :drool:

3424363849_de749d2dd6_o.jpg

3424371571_8bf07bbf0a_o.jpg

Oh, nelly, such gorgeous fish and great shots!
A lot of those pics are outright art, look like professional illustrations, and have captured such terrific poses and moments.
Must be hard parting with the little guys, but, boy, do you ever have a fabulous pictoral record to remember them by.

mine are doing fantastic, grown really fast and always hungry little devils, they definately knwo the KILL the food technique as soon at it hits the water. They are eating live foods and cichlid sticks by new era and are getting quite chunky with it. Im gunna be moving them home when they are big enough to cope with my external outlet.

are you going to keep a male or female to breed with another external fish?

Iam sorry think i understand, am i going to keep one male or female and introduce another ornate from a different source? yes if that's the question, iam keeping a group in a 3ft tank at my sister's, then shall souce some similar sized one's when the time's right

Nelly, it has just taken me 1 and a half hours to read this thread from start to finished and I must say I have been amazed! Well done you! If I was already ready for my first tank to be set up I would seriously consider one or two of these.. Perhaps when the time coes I will drop you a PM and see if you have any!! Well done!

i have been reading your threads and everything from the beginning but knew i could never have any because of my tank size but now im thinking about upgrading my tank.

are these demanding fish, i want to have a 240l tank, will this be too small? how many should i realistically keep? can they go with other fish like gouramis, tiger barbs, angle fish etc?

cheers, sorry for all the questions

Yes mate that size is good, a pair would be ideal, what people are doing is buying a group and hopefully obtaining a pair and rehoming maybe selling the other's. They live in harmony until they start to mature, then they start squabbling, then it gets a bit worse, once a pair seems to have formed you remove the rest quick smart :good:

Both my ornatipinnis's and sp assam's did the same, i rehomed the 3rd ornatipinnis, the other female sp assam is now in my larger community tank, I found the ornatipinnis's to be funny with tank mate's but this was when there was three, but most people who keep them say there aggresive with other's and highly reccomend a species tank,

There's no easier fish to care for in my oppinion, They need minimul waterchange's and eat almost anything, like prawn's/mealworms<dried and fresh/blood wom live.

no need for a heater as this perticular specie's is sub tropical, Set tank with either plastic or real plant's/bogwood/rock's and floating plant like duckweed, which i will send some if people buy the babie's, it grow's like wild fire, need to remove some from time to time so they can acsess suface as they are labrynth<meaning they breath from the surface.....

I may also have a group of four pulchra for sale if intrested, If i can't get another tank soon will advertise them aswell, there around 3inches, another beauty, same as the ornatipinnis's but small spot's on the face's instead of the larger you see on the ornate's :good:

I thought it was just bettas, but maybe all labrynth fish are virtually irresistible...
Something genetic, no doubt.

Most reactions

Back