Changing To Sand

BlueDragon

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
It has come to my attention that my gravel might be a problem. I am now down to five Fish after my gorgious Guppy boy, Lemon, died on Thursday. I'm doing everything I can and should but for some reason he still got poorly. And I now think it might be down to me having gravel in the tank. I've been told that it might be better to change to sand 'cause it's much easier to clean and things can't get stuck where you can't get them. Makes sense. Plus I'm sure my plants would like it better too (they're having a bit of a problem rooting properly).

But I'm still in a Fish-in cycle and don't know how long for. I've been doing daily water changes for a month now, so it might be nearly over or I might still have a few weeks left. Would it be silly to change to sand now, in the middle of a Fish-in cycle? I can imagine it might knack up my bacteria build up? I could easy keep some of the gravel I have and hang it up in the tank if that would help though.

I've been reading that Argos kiddy play sand is a good cheap option. I'm after something natural 'cause I'm still planning on my river themed tank later on down the line. I do like the way black looks but I don't think it would be right for the final idea. So would Argos sand be OK to use? Are there any downsides to it? What are peoples experience of it?

Idealy I'd like to change to sand now if it would help 'cause I don't want any more casulties : (

Could I do that or is it still dodgy for now?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back