Chain Loaches And Assassin Snail Compatability

flix_cw

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've got my heart set on a small group of chain loaches/pygmy botia as a playful bottom dweller for my tank. However, i also have a few assassin snails dotted about and am wondering if they'll end up as a snack?

Well... Loaches eat snails.... assassins are snails = snack time!!

DCL are prolific snail and baby fish munchers!! Couldnt believe quite how quikly 3 x DCL cleared a severe snail infestation...AND abu 200 baby bristlenose in 2-3 weeks!! :shifty:

Looks like i'll have to rehome the snails! Obviously i want SOME malaysian trumpets still since they're so useful for substrate turnover. The assassins were keeping the population stable, but i guess the loaches will do that now!

I think Dwarf Chain Loaches are far to active for a 15G. Having had them in a 200L before, I can only say they should be in a tank, atleast 4FT long. :look:

That's what i feared.

Can you suggest a more suitable bottom dweller for a 15g? I'm really not interested in pygmy cories since i've read a lot that they mostly occupy the mid level.

The other stocking is currently a dwindling school of 5 danios, which i really don't want to increase the number of.

Well i just went to my LFS, came back with 3 kuhli loaches and 6 harlequin rasbora!

Think i'm pleased with what i got, although doubt i'll ever see the kuhlis! Just hope the tank doesn't appear too "busy" with two species of shoaling fish.

Most reactions

Back