The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

VioletThePurple

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
For those of you that have read my other posts, I am not getting any more fish any time soon until I solve the situation with my current tank. This question is for the future down the line when I no longer face life threatening issues with fish. However, I will list all my current stocking with this question even if they don't survive to get answers that fit the situation currently assuming my stocking stays the same or that I will keep my current stocking again.

I used to have a betta as a centerpiece, betta turned aggressive so now I want a different centerpiece fish for my 20 gallon. The fish needs to get along with platies and cories. I don't want to risk adding a potentially aggressive fish, (like gouramis or bettas of either gender) no schooling fish, (I don't want another group as I already have the livebearers and cories), no too sensitive fish, (like shrimp, the cories are enough to look out for),no livebearers, (I don't want to add more because of the platies) and I want something curious that is widely available.

Last edited:
1. how many cories do you have?
i reccomend more than 6 cories with Sand substrate
2. how many platies?
platies get MASSIVE and can take up tank space

what's your Ph, Kh, and Gh

1. how many cories do you have?
i recommend more than 6 cories with Sand substrate
2. how many platies?
platies get MASSIVE and can take up tank space

what's your Ph, Kh, and Gh
I only have one cory left after a disease wiped out my group. I'll get more once the situation is better. I have sand. I had three platies, now 5 because they had a couple babies, could've been more but they might've been eaten. Ph 7, kh 80, gh 120.

Why not try a pair of Swordtails, the males look fantastic and will go with the platies. Try and get a couple of Berlin Blacks. I know you say no more live bearers but I think the swordtails could look great in your tank.

Why not try a pair of Swordtails, the males look fantastic and will go with the platies. Try and get a couple of Berlin Blacks. I know you say no more live bearers, but I think the swordtails could look great in your tank.
I might look into Swordtails if two males can go together. I'm just worried about potential aggression if they can breed with platies.

There's very limited options for centrepiece fish with your tank size and water hardness. What about a single honey gourami? I know you said no gouramis, but the honey's are a small, quiet, peaceful fish compared to their bigger more aggressive cousins and only get to about 2 inches.

You can always rehome your male platys and just keep the females to prevent more breeding and overloading the tank.

There's very limited options for centrepiece fish with your tank size and water hardness. What about a single honey gourami? I know you said no gouramis, but the honey's are a small, quiet, peaceful fish compared to their bigger more aggressive cousins and only get to about 2 inches.

You can always rehome your male platys and just keep the females to prevent more breeding and overloading the tank.
I'd agree with the honey but the platies will be the same size if not bigger, and that'll throw away the centerpiece vibe. in addition, honeys do quite better in trios or pairs from my experience.

I'd agree with the honey but the platies will be the same size if not bigger, and that'll throw away the centerpiece vibe. in addition, honeys do quite better in trios or pairs from my experience.

Yea good point about the size, especially the female platys.

Perhaps just another couple of colour varieties of the platys to make the whole tank more interesting instead of a single centerpiece fish? A nice mix of reds, sunsets and wagtails always looks good

Yea good point about the size, especially the female platys.

Perhaps just another couple of color varieties of the platys to make the whole tank more interesting instead of a single centerpiece fish? A nice mix of reds, sunsets and wagtails always looks good
I've been considering that because I just got assorted platies when I was overwhelmed with all the different types of platies. I might get a black and orange platy. I'll need more girls than boys so there's no chasing, but the babies are too young to be sexed right now.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back