The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ZoddyZod

Constantly learning
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Afternoon all

I've been compiling a bit of a shortlist (using several lfs stock lists and online info) for possible additons to my Fluval 125L tank and I'm struggling to lock a good 'centerpiece' fish that fits with my tank/water conditions/tank mates.

I've got a Fluval 125L with 11 zebra danios and a pH of around 7.8 - 8.0.

So far I've thought about and researched the following, am I generally right with what I am saying below?

Bosemani Rainbow - grows too large
Dwarf Gourami - doesn't like active tank mates. Needs calm water and I'm providing a reasonable current for the danios
Agassiz's and Dwarf Flag cichlid - both need much lower pH
Paradise fish - aggressive, can be prone to being nipped.
Australian Empire Gudgeon - reaches 12cm, needs bigger tank
Bolivian Ram - MAY be OK, anyone care to argue?

Any other suggestions that you have?

Whoever provides a suitable choice wins a prize. A completely ficticious and imaginary prize, but a prize none the less!

What is the pH. An apisto would be fine in a pH from 6.5-7.5. I wouldn't keep them in anything over 7.6 as they wouldn't like it. But I have heard of where people have kept them in 8.2 fro 6 months, so they are pretty hardy espically the Cacatuoides, my favorite. You could fit a pair of them in that tank. Put 3 coconut caves or so so that they can establish their terrotories. The;y always make a great center piece. :good:

A nice big fighter?

Dwarf African Cichlids, similar to rams but a LOT hardier and prefer harder water and a higher ph, cant remember their whole scientific name but the last bit is 'thomasi'.

Honey Gouramis (heck of a lot hardier than the dwarf gouramis)

A nice big fighter?

Dwarf African Cichlids, similar to rams but a LOT hardier and prefer harder water and a higher ph, cant remember their whole scientific name but the last bit is 'thomasi'.

Honey Gouramis (heck of a lot hardier than the dwarf gouramis)

Do you mean kribs? They get agressive during breeding if you get a pair. I don't think they do good in community aquariums. A gourami would be fine, even though I know next ot noting on them.

A nice big fighter?

What do you mean by 'nice big fighter'?

Hmmm, the African Butterfly Cichlid? Never seen these before. Looks like a possibility.......just need to find it in a lfs!

cheers for the tip.

Do you mean kribs?

I read that kribs need bigger fish with them as they will just harrass smaller ones?

A nice big fighter?

What do you mean by 'nice big fighter'?

Hmmm, the African Butterfly Cichlid? Never seen these before. Looks like a possibility.......just need to find it in a lfs!

cheers for the tip.

Do you mean kribs?

I read that kribs need bigger fish with them as they will just harrass smaller ones?

Not sure, but they get agressive during breeding, and I would not reccomend a pair for a community tank. I am not sure if one female would be fien or not. Ask around in the african forum, there are some VERY helpful people that lurk around in that forum.

A pair of marbled angels!

Rams would be good but need pristine water conditions, nitrates MUST be kept below 20ppm so it would depend on your tap water reading

Andy

Rams would be good but need pristine water conditions, nitrates MUST be kept below 20ppm so it would depend on your tap water reading

Andy

She/he has a pH of 7.8-8.0, so rams would not be okay. I don't know about angels, If there are any smaller fish that will fit in an angels mouth, it will eat them. And plus the tank has to be atleast 18" high for angels. And I think angels prefer lowe pH also.

Not really considered angles. Although very nice to look at, they seem to lack activity?

Andy

She/he has a pH of 7.8-8.0, so rams would not be okay. I don't know about angels, If there are any smaller fish that will fit in an angels mouth, it will eat them. And plus the tank has to be atleast 18" high for angels. And I think angels prefer lowe pH also.

It's a HE.

I thought Bolivian Rams were ok in up to pH 7.8?

Is the Marble Angle not smaller, max size 15cm? I do tend to agree with you though anyway. Even at 15cm tall, they only have twice their height to move about which isn't ideal.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back