Catfish Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sea_Monster87

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have two spotted corys. Ever since I got the second one one of the catfish has been hiding in a tank decoration and hasn't come out. It's been three days. I give it food and it eats it, and it's not shownig signs of illness. I have a new chinese algae eater thats sort of hyper and I'm wondering if it scared him. Maybe he's just leaving when I'm not around. Is it bad if he hides that much? The new cory loves to swim around and explore, but that one just suddenly started acting like that. What could be wrong? :crazy:

I would think the new one would act like that! But corys are nocturnal, so you should check him out after turning off the tank light and leaving the room lights on. Extra foliage might also do the trick, or less intense lighting...

I'm somewhat new too. I wouldn't move him b/c that would just antagonize him and maybe make it worse. Leave the light off for at least 12 hours, that way you might be able to tell if he's active...

No, if it's on for 12 hrs., the light will be beneficial for low-moderately high light plants. The rest of the hours allow for the plants to respire and for the cory to enjoy himself and forage for food.

I probably didn't explain that very well. I meant: make sure that the light is off for 12 hrs. each day.

Sorry, I wouldn't know. I just started reading a book on catfish and haven't gotten to the disease part yet.

My guess is that he might have injured it and his sense of smell and touch is messed up. Once more, it's just a gues...

There's nothing wrong w/ returning it. If you return it, you'll have to part w/ the cory, but at elast he won't hurt the other one w/ his disease (if he has one). :D

I looked @ the other Cory and he also has the spot in the same place. Then I got on the internat and looked at some Cory pictures of their species and they all had it so I guess it's just a spotted cory thing. I left the light off for a while and the cory finally left the castle. Thanks SO MUCH for the help/advice. :D

Hi guys :D

Perhaps I can give you some information that will help you better understand your cory's behavior.

Corys have poor eyes and the light bothers them a bit. That's why there should be a cave or some low growing plants in the tank with them. When you see them "hiding" it is often because they just want to stay in the shade. B) They will usually become more active at night and, for some reason, in the evenings.

It's very important to take into account the fact that corys are schooling fish and since they cannot fight another fish if they are threatened, they will hide when they're alone. Fish that shoal have a "safety in numbers" kind of mentality. That is, if a predator comes along looking for dinner, chances are that someone else in the group will be eaten and not them. This is why it is always better to have a lot of corys rather than just one. The more you have, the more active and playful they are likely to become because they will feel more secure. ;)

Hi Sea_Monster87 :)

I'm very glad to learn that your cory is OK and just being himself! :nod:

If you ever want to add another fish or 2 to the tank, why not think about getting more corys. The more you have, the happier and more active they will all be. :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back