Catfish for 10 gallon?

Missy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm cycling a 10 gallon tank right now and have three guppies in it. This tank will double as a baby tank (will use net breeders) when any of my livebears in either tanks have babies. Anyway, I would like to add another pair of guppies that I saw and loved and I definitely need to add a catfish or two. I'm going to be getting 3 corys for my 20gal hex but would rather just get one catfish, if posible, for the 10 gallon so as not to cramp them. Does anyone know a type of cat that doesn't need to be in a group? If you think that Corys are the only way to go, should I put in 2 or 3 for the bottom of the tank.

What about the upsidedown catfish? Saw them in the lps but haven't looked them up yet. Maybe I'll do that now.

Well, there are catfish out there that dont' need to be in a group, the only problem is your aquarium will be easily out grown by the catfish that don't need to be in a group. Corry catfish is the best way to go and if you do get some get about 3-5, cause they look cooler with that amount and are very fun and interesting. Why you getting the catfish? Cuteness or because bottom dwellers? " You could get a plecostamus" that's a type of catfish I would suggest that doesn't need to be in a group, but the only problem is they get to be about 2 feet, or best known as 18 inches. :look:

I suggest my old favourite, the bristlenosed plec ("ancistrus"). Females grow to about 3.5", males to about 4.5". They don't mind being on their own and won't bother your tank mates. Of course, they're shy, noturnal and ugly as sin but that's a major part of their appeal. You'll need a bit of bogwood in there if you get a bristlenose, so watch your pH.

I guess I'd be getting the catfish(s) for both reasons. I'd like to have a bottom dweller to help clean up leftover food from the guppies and because I like the look of them too. I have a pleco in my larger tank and like I said they will soon be joined by some corys.
Do you think three or four with 5-(maybe 7) guppies too much in the end?
I have good filtration and air stone and do weelky partial water changes.

Missy, I don't care what any one says about over populating your tank with "guppies", you can't do it... Well you can it's just that with a 10 gallon you have, you could have up to 20 guppies. In my 20 gallon I breed all types of guppies, I had over 40 maybe 55, they did excellent none of them died and there were tons of babies. Though it may be a little hard to move in there, I'm just trying to tell you with how many guppies you want in there you shouldn't have a problem. What ever you do if you're not going to transport the guppies into the bigger tank don't bother helping the baby guppies live, let them do it on there own.

:fish: I was reading your post and thinking, this chic needs a bristlenose...but I see Anna has beat me to it. These guys are great, and they don't get as big as so many other plecos. I also agree with allusivelife about getting multiples of corys when you do buy them. My tank is like a constant street party, the corys are a blast to watch. :drink:

Dwarf Sucker Mouth. only grows to about two inches at most. They have greeat cleaning abilities.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back