Carpeting Plant

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SLIM

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi all

Im after suggestions for a carpeting plant that will do well in a low tech tank with medium lighting.
Not intersted in moss, im looking for something that will grow thick and healthy in low co2 conditions and will cover the substrate in time.

Thankyou I look forward to your suggestions.

Paul

star grass if trimed regullay althought its normaly grown tall
riccia (its a bladderwort not a moss)
micro chain swords
there might be some small crypts out there as well
why no to moss?

Iv tried pigmy chain swords and dwarf hair grass with no luck what so ever. Dont know why but it jus wont grow for me.
I already have java moss and flame moss growing nicely on some bog wood but its not really something I want all over the substrate.
Plus moss can be pretty messy not to mention I have sand which I cant see moss taking too.
Il look into this Star Grass tho. Maybe this could be what im looking for.
Thanks
Any other ideas please let me know:)

if you go with co2 you can try HC and others alike, but riccia will have a nice light colour check it out, it does need attaching though, ummm you might get away with staurogyne repens or Pogostemon helferi, also although not a capting plant but has almost the same effect as microchain swords you could try blyxa japonica, im not having much success with blyxa at the moment in my high tech though, although it should be easy to grow

forgot about that, it grows quite tall though, steve what was that mini star grass you sent me from planted comp, that might carpet nicely if he had enough

Dunno mate, sent you Saurogyne easy to get to carpet but best bought from a 1-2 grow stockist as it melts bad from the regular pots.

ohh it was.Micranthemum micranthemoides or Didiplis diandra... it was one of the 2 i think, i'll get a pic.

anyway another good carpeter might be Hydrocotyle verticillata not sure how much co2 / light it likes iv not experimented

thanks =], i think that could be quite a nice carpet if kept short as well you'd need alot of it though

Thanks for your replies. After reading your suggestions and doin a little online research, I think im going to try some Dwarf sag and some Riccia on metal mesh.
These are for my new aqua one 1800r 600liter low tech project so I have room to try em both. Il give em afew weeks then decide a winner, hopefully lol.
Thanx again. Ebay here I come. Wish me luck

good luck, if you want i could sell you some of them both, for test plants say 2-3 plants of dwarf sag and a bit of riccia? (you'd have to attach it yourself though)

Yea ok that would be great thankyou very much. How much do you want?

Oh almost forgot to ask, how does dwarf sag spead? Runners?

yer it spreads via runners, umm say £5 posted for a golf ball sized portion of riccia and 3 stems/plantlets of sag?

Deal! your a star. Thanks once again. Inbox me your paypal and il send payment now

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back