Cardinal Tetra and Neon Tetra

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

1. Almost, Cardinals from Venezuela, Colombia and Brazil, South America; Neons from Peru, South America.

2. Don't know for sure, Neons are hard to captive breed apparently. They are both of the same family (Paracheirodon) so it is a possibility AFAIK

3. Impossible to tell. They would have evolved over a long period of time many millions of years ago. When my time machine gets delivered I'll go and have a look :p

4. I think both are products of evolution/natural selection. He similarities are due to the similarities of habits, con-specifics, etc.

5. Cardinals are not susceptible to NTD - I also find that they are nicer to look at as well due to the increased red colouration.

HTH, Eddie

1. Cardinals, (Paracheirodon axelrodi), are found in blackwater rivers, tributaries of or the Orinoco and Rio Negro, and the uperr reaches of those rivers. Neons, (Paracheirodon innesi), are found in many blackwater tributaries of the Solimões which is the Southern of the two rivers which meet at Manaus, Brazil to form the Amazon proper, (the other being the Rio Negro).

So although both found in similar conditions, they do not overlap in range.

2. I doubt they would form hybrids, but would not totally discount the possibility. I would expect any hybrid between them to be sterile.

3 and 4 - Can't add anything to Eddie's comments.

5. Is a little difficult. There are several things called "Neon Tetra Disease". The "classic" Neon disease is caused by Microsporidian parasites and whilst it was first identified in Neons, it can affect other species. There is another bacterial disease that also affects many species, but Neons are those that seem to show it most. A third "NTD" is over breeding, this was McKinnery's conclusion where NTD free fish, developed NTD after intense breeding. In any case, all three of these things are rare.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back