Cardinal Shrimp Pics

They are stunning little critters Shrimper they look better in action the little white feeder legs are moving constantly and as time goes on they are getting more visable during the day. I am still at the stage that I hope they survive, still that is looking promising they are active and healthy after almost a month so they should be fine, they are breeding in tanks after about three or four months for other people so thats hopeful, if they do I will gladly supply any excess stock to other shimpers though posting these guys is a challenge. It would be better to have tank bred ones for other hobbyists than getting them from the wild.
Thanks Three fingers, :) here is a pic of the warm up,

warmup.jpg

Yeah, they are usually £10 and up, and that is from germany. I'm a bit stuck really as I can only get most shrimp online, as my LFS (Hollybush Garden Centre) only does the more common varieties (bamboo, cherry, macro (labled as freshwater shrimp. lol) and chameleon shrimp). Not transport either, so trips to far places are a no no. :angry:

This is why I am planning to breed varieties like snowball, green shrimp and yellow heteropoda first, as these shrimp are very cheap to import from germany, and prolific breeders. Selling on offspring from these should then allow me to set up another breeding tank and try my hand with blue tigers (from germany) and cardinal sulawesi (from wherever I can get them).

Oh and I already breed cherry shrimp, in my 180 litre planted. lol. I don't sell them though as in a big tank like this with lots of plants I can rarely find the little red.......

Ade

Common varieties? All i get is the Amano Shrimp's, and the occasional Bamboo and Cameroon / Cameroun. :(

Hello,
I am new here!
Great pics! :good:

I am Italian and I've Crystal Red and Cherry, in the past I had also Babualty green.

Now I'm looking for the Cardinal from Sulawesi, but they are not here!
I looked on planetinverts, but are sold out!

Can you help me? Where I can buy Cardinal online?

Sorry Liam, What values has your tank?!?

Thanks, Panti

Yeah they are lovely Mel,

Yeah Aaron I like that pic too, they really go for it when they fight, I saw one with a bit missing from the white eating legs so maybe they do injure themselves.

Adam there are quite a few online sellers about if you want something specific.

Thanks panticlrc, the water here is very hard so I use 50/50 ro and tap water that still gives a ph of 8.1, I don’t have any KH or Gh measures, the TDS (total dissolved solids) is 180 the temperature is 27.3C. I think from what I have read that a ph of between 7.5 and 8.3 seems to suit them basically soft alkaline water. As for getting them in Italy I wouldn’t know a German company sells them its Aqua-Tropica Sud. They ship internationally.

As for the cardinals, I was still at the stage of hoping they would survive, this evening I saw that one was carrying eggs, here is a crappy pic of her hiding in the rocks, there were a few others around so I expect they are males, you can just about make out the eggs, I could see that she was fanning them, I took the pic with a flash to see if she really had eggs, her whole body seems fatter they must manage to expand when they produce eggs. Anyway I am a happy shrimper :)

eggies.jpg

And a nicer one cleaning its eye.

s1.jpg

Those have the most incredible red I've ever seen!! Kinda like a Salt Water blood shrimp.

Congrats on the eggs! Hope they hatch out :).

Lol, you always seem to have the camera ready when they are doing the most interesting things. Does look a bit odd with his claw over his eye like that. That red is so brilliant!

Yeah they are lovely Mel,

Yeah Aaron I like that pic too, they really go for it when they fight, I saw one with a bit missing from the white eating legs so maybe they do injure themselves.

Adam there are quite a few online sellers about if you want something specific.

Thanks panticlrc, the water here is very hard so I use 50/50 ro and tap water that still gives a ph of 8.1, I don’t have any KH or Gh measures, the TDS (total dissolved solids) is 180 the temperature is 27.3C. I think from what I have read that a ph of between 7.5 and 8.3 seems to suit them basically soft alkaline water. As for getting them in Italy I wouldn’t know a German company sells them its Aqua-Tropica Sud. They ship internationally.

As for the cardinals, I was still at the stage of hoping they would survive, this evening I saw that one was carrying eggs, here is a crappy pic of her hiding in the rocks, there were a few others around so I expect they are males, you can just about make out the eggs, I could see that she was fanning them, I took the pic with a flash to see if she really had eggs, her whole body seems fatter they must manage to expand when they produce eggs. Anyway I am a happy shrimper :)

eggies.jpg

s1.jpg

Thank you Liam, found a few places online. ;)

Thanks folks for the feedback.
Yeah tangokitty, the colour is very intense, they loose it and go a sort of black in the dark.

Three-fingers yeah I was excited to see the eggs, I didn’t expect them yet, she still has them so hopefully there will be shrimplets in a couple of weeks, they hatch faster than cherries I believe, due to the higher temperatures I guess. The eggs are quite big by comparison to the size of the mum. I often have the camera on when I am looking at the tank so if they do anything interesting I can catch it. :)

Adam it seems shrimp are becomming more available and popular as they become better known.

Here is a better shot of the mum she eventually came out from between the rocks to feed.

careggs.jpg

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm you got them before me, i wanted to post mine 1st.
oh well. Amazing pix Liam as always.

I think if moreplaces introduced these shrimp it would be great. I have Red nosed and i love how the drift around in the current from one plant to the next.

Have you seen the blue cardinals on PlanetInverts yet Liam? They seem to have larger, darker, blue spots. Oh and those slender blue sulawesi *drool*, which in my opinion should be called galaxy or celestial shrimp or something.

Ade

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back