Cardinal Shrimp Pics

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Liam

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I got these guys three weeks ago, so far so good they seem to be doing fine. I got the little harlequins and dark maroons before, some of them survived a few weeks but they all died, the shop I got them in told me they didn’t survive very long in their tanks either, they never seemed very active. I just got a few cardinals to try them out, I used half RO water this time as their water is very soft though alkaline. They seemed healthier from the start and were active from the beginning. I keep them with a few female cherries and mandarin shrimp, the cardinals can push the other shrimp about and the presence of the other shrimp seems to calm them and I wanted the other shrimp to eat any dead ones I didn’t find. They are out and about with the other shrimp all the time.
Anyway here are a few pics, the colour varies a lot from red with white dots to almost black with blue dots. They look great with the little white feeder legs moving constantly they don’t swim at all they can hop and move backwards as easily as forwards.

IMG_6563.jpg

s5.jpg

s9.jpg

IMG_6778.jpg

They're nice looking shrimps, I'd give them a go but the price put me off, how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

That's me now waiting with baited breath for the day that I can make enough money off cheaper breeds to afford a nice large colony of those. The Harlequin Sulawesi are my second fave Sulawesi.

Absolute fave shrimp of all for me though has to be the deep blue tiger. Not got them either.

Ade

They cost £7.50 each in Wholesale Tropicals which seems okay to me.
Thanks Esfa, I can live with the hate. :D
Will send you a virtual cracker Tyler. :)

Ade, the cardianls seem to be among the easiest to keep of the Sulawesi shrimp, quite a few people have reported them breeding, the Harlequins are really stunning but seem much harder to keep alive and I haven’t seen any credible reports of them breeding even of the ones imported with eggs, the babies don’t seem to be surviving. I guess the other advantage of the Sulawesi shrimp is that there has been no selective breeding to get the colour so if they establish the stock wont have been weakened by inbreeding. Agree on the blue tigers they are very cool looking, have not seen them for sale here though.

With tank mates!

IMG_6658.jpg

Yeah, they are usually £10 and up, and that is from germany. I'm a bit stuck really as I can only get most shrimp online, as my LFS (Hollybush Garden Centre) only does the more common varieties (bamboo, cherry, macro (labled as freshwater shrimp. lol) and chameleon shrimp). Not transport either, so trips to far places are a no no. :angry:

This is why I am planning to breed varieties like snowball, green shrimp and yellow heteropoda first, as these shrimp are very cheap to import from germany, and prolific breeders. Selling on offspring from these should then allow me to set up another breeding tank and try my hand with blue tigers (from germany) and cardinal sulawesi (from wherever I can get them).

Oh and I already breed cherry shrimp, in my 180 litre planted. lol. I don't sell them though as in a big tank like this with lots of plants I can rarely find the little red.......

Ade

I had to look because i know you do some great pics liam!

So true :D

I actually like the look of the Cardinals more than the Harlequins. Love their white "mitts" :lol:

How are you changing their tank water Liam? Do you need to slow drip change? Do you know what sex ratio you have yet? Hope you have better luck with these little beauties this time and it'll be so cool to see little babies :D :D

Yeah, £7.50 is a good price, Wholesale Tropicals do sell online, their prices are always pretty good even for rarer fish.
Thanks for the compliments on the photos Arronn, glad you like them.
I have only been changing about 10% of the water at a time, there isnt much stock in the tank. They are doing good so far so I am pretty optimistic that they will be fine, still its early days. One thing that is different about them and the other shrimp is that they have full on wrestling matches that can last up to half an hour. I dont know about males and females, some of them seem broader so I expect they should be female but their colour is so strong that the saddles are not visible.
Anyway here is a pic from a shrimp fight, looks like they are doing a slow dance :D .

fight.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Back