Carbon

purpleflower

New Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2007
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I have always thought that carbon filter media needed to be replaced, until i read in a post that you can clean it?.
i thought carbon soaked up chemicals and once its full it will slowly release all the cemicals killing the fish.

so my question is can I reuse a carbon sponge just by rinsing it under a tap?
 
as far as im aware no once the carbon is used throw it away usually after 24-36 hours if i remeber ritely otherwise like u say releases wot it's caught back into ur tank


jen
 
Most of us don't use carbon at all. It is mainly a chemical filter and best used to remove medications from a tank. It is usually pretty much fully saturated in a day to 2 weeks. The beneficial bacteria will colonize it but you end up throwing your bacteria away every time you change it. I would suggest getting a good ceramic type media such as Seachem Matrix and use it instead of carbon.

On a side note, I recently cleaned out the cabinet where I keep all my supplies and found 47 packs of the carbon that comes with the Whisper filter cartridges and another larger pack that came with my Fluvals.
 
You can recharge it, but itll be a lot easier to just buy new one. Carbon is recharged by exposing it to high temperatures. Im not sure of the exact technique, but its more trouble than its worth. :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top