Carbon

Great Lakes

Always do right, not popular...
Reaction score
Starting a new topic on carbon. The bio wheel topic is starting to get into a carbon discussion.
Pete, there are types of carbon now available that are said to eliminate most leaching when used up. And good carbon does a nice job at polishing the water. Not to say you have to use it all the time, but periodically may not be a bad idea.

With me not using carbon much i wouldnt know about the advancments that you are talking about lol :p

But just because i dont use it doesnt mean that anyone else should stop using it lol, i just only use it for stripping meds outta the water, but then i tend to run massive external filters on most of my tanks and i usually double them up too (im a firm believer in the "bib n braces" approach to fish keeping :D

I also try not to use carbon too much as it can prove costly when you run the sort of filtration that i do lol (yeah yeah i know im a tight arse lol) :look:

In all fairness though i have found that with a really good quality filter you wont need carbon to polish the water and by using a "Fluidized Bed Filter" too "i believe that you cannot beat these by the way lol" that you will have all the filtration that you will ever need without the use of carbon..........but then again.......each to their own i suppose lol :p :laugh:

Also remember that if you have live plants, the carbon will take most of the nutrients out of the water too, starving the plants.

Xcrown

Yes Pete, I see your specific reason. I am just inclined to believe the majority of people use pretty straight forward filters though. Most probably use the regular hang on filters that come with the carbon in them anyway.
And Xcrown, I believe you have a valid point about the live plants comment. I have never had trouble growing plants, yet I am in no way an expert with them. I have good luck with swords, which I like due to the fact that they aren't easily uprooted or eaten.

Eaten or uprooted by what? What kinda monster you have in there????

Xcrown

I have a large spotted cat that seems to have an epileptic fit every time food is added to the tank. He seriously affects the aquascaping. And the smaller tender plants also seem to become dinner for the platies and barbs.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back