The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.

StandbySetting

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend an insurance company, for an 18 year old that preferably fits a tracking device and is as cheap as possible, the cheapest I've had so far on a 1L Corsa is £2300 per annum, but I'd still like to get it cheaper.

WOW. i bet that cost more than the car doesnt it......? :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

your best bet is to go onlibe on confused.com or other comparison sites. get the best quote then go onto the site that the quote was given from and do another quote with them direct. it may or may not turn out cheaper.

trackers and alarms dont really reduce the insurance that much and probably will cost more than the difference in insurance tbh. unless its essential then i wouldnt bother and just stick with the original manufacturers alarm/security system.

also dont always go with the cheapest because its the cheapest. read the small print and see what is included within the price. some insurance companies are very sneaky and make out they give the best deal when really they arent.... :angry:

how do companies expect 18 year old people to pay so much for car insurance when they are probably still at school/college and only working part time :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: my renewal this year is quoted at £355 but then im not 18 anymore :lol: :sad:

The car is £3000, it's ridiculous, the tracker things for some companies register your acceleration/braking etc and miles covered and they reduce/increase your premium accordingly, best I've found so far now is Adrian Flux, down to £1600.

What companies have you tried mate?

Try Tesco and put your clubcard number in (your mums etc) if you have one and it will bring it down a little. As do the black box things that you mention as long as you're a good boy with it.

Direct Line always used to be the best for me... i'm with someone else now, i forget who though. lol.

Compare the market, confused.com etc etc etc would be handy. Adrian Flux are good, had a few mates go with him for modified cars etc.

Hmmm... It's awkward mate, unsure what to suggest. Just a matter of finding the one that is the cheapest for you this year. Might not be the case next year. Stupid i know, but it's true.

How old is the car? Sometimes a newer car is cheaper to insure.

If you go near direct line, expect them to try and shaft you for your money, they only honour new customers, not old. Was Direct Line for a fair few years and instead of getting a bit cheaper each year, the cost kept going up, when i rang them to find out why all i got was "well as a new customer... you get a larger discount" etc... and when i asked what they did for customers when 4/5 people in a family all insure with them and parents have done for 20 odd years between them... they just said 'err.. nothing... you just become a regular paying customer'.

I told them they could consider me a customer all the liked but i sure as heck wasnt going to be a paying one. Admiral quoted me £200 less after i had been with Direct Line for 4 years!

Admiral screwed me over, didnt bother notifying me of changes to my policy, were horrendous to deal with after an accident and took soooo long to sort anything and kept losing my information and messing around with charges.

I now insure with Ford Insure for my 1.2 Fiesta and 1 years no claims is £600 and thats paying monthly! Would have been about £500.

So changing from Admiral to Ford Insure and splitting up with my Ex and moving from Luton to Reading outskirts, my car insurance dropped by £500!! Woman on the phone nearly choked trying not to laugh when i told her Id have left my Ex a lot sooner if i had realised how much money it would save me!

It's a 06 plate 1.0L Corsa, was built in 2003 though.

Thanks for the advice, I know as of this year that there is supposed to be no difference in pricing between Women and Men, but it's still there, maybe if it wasn't for the bell ends that run around looking for a case to sue every 5 minutes insurance would be a lot cheaper, as well as those that drive whilst uninsured.

I've not passed my test yet but I'll be doing pass plus, so that should knock some off.

Only if the company recognises pass plus... Alot don't.

I added the missus who has a provisional licence and it CAME DOWN £140!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink: How does that work then? lol.

Ditto for Direct Line. Shocking service.

Admiral are good ive been with them for about 3years now and i cant complain there premiums are good. Altho try paying them the whole wack at once that should knock any intrest of the premium.
Phone the companies alot of the time they can give you a better deal over the phone than through price comparison sites.

I was insured with them on a 2.5 litre bmw at only 22! it was mibby bout 700 odd quid!! Petrol put a mighty dent in my pocket tho!

OMG magical tevor :lol: "everyone loves...magical trevor coz the tricks that he does are ever so clever!"

I added the missus who has a provisional licence and it CAME DOWN £140!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How does that work then? lol.

Because you have a woman to look after you and make sure you are sensible :shifty: :lol: :good:

yup insurance is a pain in the butt, im insured with axa on my daily car cheapish but fo rmy age and ncb it's crazy in my eye's £400 fully comp on a 1.1 im 28 with 6yrs ncb

I also have a second car which is insured on a classic's policy but you dont get any ncb with this policy at all :( i had my mk1 sierra xr4i on it originally fully comp 5k a year on miles and that was £170 a year with all mod's declared lol then i changed car too a pug 309gti goodwood and it went up >_< ended up paying £264 in total but i cant complain as i done a 2.0 turbo conversion and declared it with the insurance and it went up 1p and she said it would be a cheek too take the 1p from me lol dam right it would be a cheek lol

also try adding a parent on that can SOMETIMES help too get cost's down

1. Use more than one comparison site - they don't have the same insurers on each so by using all of them and then getting aviva and direct line individually you get the whole market. Check out MSE to see which order in which to check them.

2. Yes Tesco are cheap. Want to know why? Because they're underwriting themselves because they made unrealistic demands to the underwriters and the underwriters laughed them out of the building. Now they'll insure anyone cheap as chips, no matter the risk, and are hemorrhaging money right left and centre. Long term, their method of insuring is unsustainable. (have a best friend who is an insurance underwriter ;)) also, their customer services leaves something to be desired.

3. If possible Jack, as awful as it sounds...get the bus for a few years, and get a car after Uni. If you're in genuine need for something, hire one, or borrow your parents and go on their insurance for a weekend/week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back