Can't Get Water To Clear

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Marnee

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
A few weeks back I posted about my water just not being clear. The inside glass takes on an almost sandy kind of look a few hours after water changes. The tank was set up 10 March with established media from 2yr tank. I have been getting consistent 0's on ammonia and nitrite for the last couple of weeks. Nitrate is around 10ppm. ph is 7.8. I do water changes a couple of times a week. I wipe down the inside of the glass and not long after it has the sandy appearance to it again, and the water just is off a bit as far as clarity goes. It almost looks clearer at the bottom of the tank and gets cloudy in the upper part of the tank. Can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I know I don't overfeed because I would see left over food on the sand, and I usually watch my fish while they eat and there doesn't seem to be much left after a minute or so. The 50 gallon tank houses 4 female platys, 20 glowlight tetra's and 5 panda corys. Not overstocked at all. I am wondering if the filter just might not be enough to clear this tank. It is a penguin bio wheel 200 and it is designed for tanks up to 50 gallons. I use sponge, ceramic rings and filter floss in the filter. Would I get better results if I used a canister filter? Any idea's on why this tank water will not clear?

not familiar with that filter but a quick google of the pictures, It doesnt look like it provides much turnover or flow to cope with that size tank.

have you tried running some carbon in your filter for a few days to see if that clears your problem? If you can, after you next water change (and before you turn the filter back on) just put a carbon filter pad or carbon-ceramic media in your filter. Made sure all your sponges/filter pads are clean?

EDIT: what size tank do you have?

have you tried running some carbon in your filter for a few days to see if that clears your problem? If you can, after you next water change (and before you turn the filter back on) just put a carbon filter pad or carbon-ceramic media in your filter. Made sure all your sponges/filter pads are clean?

tank is 50 gallon, 48" long. I will pick up some carbon and give that a try.

The filter you have (if its the MarineLand Penguin?) is rated UPTO 50Gal, so you're at the top end of its power, and its been proved many times on here that most filters, even the top end brands, in the real world dont perform as they say.

The flow rate is measured without media, or crud, and anything else that's made its way in there.

I would look at an upgrade, a full external if possible. Something that will turn your tank volume over around 6-8 times, especially if you plan to add any further fish later down the line. 1800lph+

Hope this helps.

tank is 50 gallon, 48" long. I will pick up some carbon and give that a try.

Failing that I would recommend getting a stronger filter. Nothing wrong with yours, you're not too heavily stocked so it should cope but the turn over of the water is only 200 gallons per hour for a 50 gallon tank. You should be looking more around the 350-500 gallons (1600-2300 litres approx) per hour turn over. :)

Hope the carbon works though, it's a lot less costly! ;)

What conditioner you using? My old tetra aquasafe stuff made the water blue haha
Using Prime

The filter you have (if its the MarineLand Penguin?) is rated UPTO 50Gal, so you're at the top end of its power, and its been proved many times on here that most filters, even the top end brands, in the real world dont perform as they say.

The flow rate is measured without media, or crud, and anything else that's made its way in there.

I would look at an upgrade, a full external if possible. Something that will turn your tank volume over around 6-8 times, especially if you plan to add any further fish later down the line. 1800lph+

Hope this helps.
I was wondering if I should go with an external filter. That might be my next step.

adding carbon wont really do much, your not getting the turnover through the filter you need, especially if its been running a while a clogged up from what it was new. I would look at getting a bigger filter or a second filter. I have that size tank and had a 750lph external on and with similar stocking had the same problem, i added a 1750lph external and it cleared almost overnight.

adding carbon wont really do much, your not getting the turnover through the filter you need, especially if its been running a while a clogged up from what it was new. I would look at getting a bigger filter or a second filter. I have that size tank and had a 750lph external on and with similar stocking had the same problem, i added a 1750lph external and it cleared almost overnight.

Sounds like this is your solution then, Marnee! Best of luck! The discolouration cause in your tank decides whether carbon would've worked or not. I suggested it 'cause I thought it would be a low-cost problem fixer for you. :)

Matt has had a similar issue to you, though so it sounds like a stronger filter is your answer!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back