Cannot beat the fin rot. Please help.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cherryshrimp

Reaction score
I have been battling fin rot in a 20 gallon tank for 2 months now. It has 7 male guppies and 6 zebra danios. The fin rot originated from the guppies old tank, where they had their fins nipped by rainbows. After the stress of moving into a new tank, fin rot developed and eventually spread to the zebra danios. I tried a month of constant water changes, but it kept getting worse. Cut back on feeding... once a day, twice a week, once a week and still worse. So I turned to meds: Maracyn, Maracyn 2, Ich-X, Paracleanse. No luck, the fin rot has continued progressing. Danios are missing large pieces of their tails, and now one the guppies has been removed to a QT tank as he is on the verge of death.
image2.png
image1.png
image0.png
What can I do to stop this disease? The only thing I have not tried is salt, as the tank is planted. Any and all advice is appreciated..

Hello and welcome to the forum! :hi:

What are your water parameters?

Fin rot is caused by poor water quality. No meds are needed to treat it, and often make it worse...

I would stop with all the meds (have you been using them all at the same time?).

Large (75%+) daily water changes will help get rid of that fin rot.

(I also noticed that the guppy in picture #2 has stringy poop, do any of the others have this?)

Fin rot is caused by poor water quality. No meds are needed to treat it, and often make it worse...

I would stop with all the meds (have you been using them all at the same time?).

(I also noticed that the guppy in picture #2 has stringy poop, do any of the others have this?)

The fin rot originated from the guppies old tank, where they had their fins nipped by rainbows. After the stress of moving into a new tank, fin rot developed and eventually spread to the zebra danios.

Ph: 7.4-7.6
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10-20
GH: 8
KH: 2
TDS: 350

It's been 2 months battling this disease. That guppy is the only one who developed the stringy poop, it went away after the paracleanse, but I fear he is too far gone. He is currently the worst off. I put him in a QT tank with some salt a few days ago cause he stopped swimming. Got progressively worse in the QT so I moved him back this morning and now he is just laying on the bottom of the tank. He may be too far gone, but I need to save the other fish. I tried daily water changes back in August with no luck, but I will try again. How long do you think I'd need to do daily 75% changes before seeing some progress?

The fin rot originated from the guppies old tank, where they had their fins nipped by rainbows. After the stress of moving into a new tank, fin rot developed and eventually spread to the zebra danios.

Ph: 7.4-7.6
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10-20
GH: 8
KH: 2
TDS: 350

It's been 2 months battling this disease. That guppy is the only one who developed the stringy poop, it went away after the paracleanse, but I fear he is too far gone. He is currently the worst off. I put him in a QT tank with some salt a few days ago cause he stopped swimming. Got progressively worse in the QT so I moved him back this morning and now he is just laying on the bottom of the tank. He may be too far gone, but I need to save the other fish. I tried daily water changes back in August with no luck, but I will try again. How long do you think I'd need to do daily 75% changes before seeing some progress?
Just do 75% daily water changes and add salt; aquarium salt, pool salt or rock salt will work out
(1 table spoon per 20 liters or water)
you may try Esha 2000 because finrot is a bacterial infections.

Just do 75% daily water changes and add salt; aquarium salt, pool salt or rock salt will work out
(1 table spoon per 20 liters or water)
you may try Esha 2000 because finrot is a bacterial infections.

I can't use salt cause there are loads of plants in there. I also tried anti bacterial, anti fungal, and anti parasite with no luck. Had to euthanize a guppy tonight

I can't use salt cause there are loads of plants in there. I also tried anti bacterial, anti fungal, and anti parasite with no luck. Had to euthanize a guppy tonight
Remove all the fish to QT tank, make sure you have aerations in QT tank before adding fish in.

Is this fin rot or just the fact that these guys have been nipped by the rainbows. Two different things

Is this fin rot or just the fact that these guys have been nipped by the rainbows. Two different things
When fish have been nipped by other their tail can be infected by bacterial infection

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back