Canister Filters

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lmeijer

Reaction score
Hello- I have a 65 gallon (65x18x24) tank with a c02 from redsea and an aquaclear 70 filter (from my old tank). I have the tank planted with a corolife 2x 96watt aqualight. I have about 50 fish in there, small things like tetras, etc.

I was going to upgrade to a AC110 and thought maybe I should go for gold and get a canister filter but I know nothing about them. Can anyone suggest a good brand/model? Thanks for all of your help.

Lisa

i hear fluvals break alot.... i think eheim is better.. maybee like a 2215 and the aqua clear at the same time... or a 2213 and the ac70

I personally would go for a fluval 305.
Never had any problems with fluval filters, I have an fluval 3 internal filter that has been running for over 5 years now continuously in the same tank with no problems.

And at the lfs I work at there's an old 04 model that's been running for years. The fluvals come with a 3 year guarantee and a set up DVD too :good: .

But that's just me, I've never used eheim filters, but I've heard good things about them.

dude def eheim.... i know every one likes fluval but you will be more happier with the ehiem... much more quiter.. dad has a 405 for his 125 qnd its no good.. always shuts down.... and broke and he gave up... my god father has been using his eheim for about 25 yeasr.. great filter.. you will be happy you got it..

So that's:
Fluval - 3
Eheim - 1
Rena - 1

Maybe this calls for a poll in tropical chit chat? I think it would be interesting.

I'm gonna hev to dip my oar in here for Eheim. I've got an ecco on my 4ft tank and it works like a charm, never a problem with priming or clogging. The only other external I have is a Hydor which is also good and has a good priming mechanism but I haven't had it long enough to tell you any more than that

It all depends. Do you want a cannister that is likely to leak within 2 years? If so get a Fluval. I did, and so did a number of members on this board. All have had the filter die and leak water all over the floor within 24 months.

Alternatively, do you want a filter that is built to last and will still be working 10 and 20 plus years from now? Then get the Eheim. On another forum they did a straw poll on who has the oldest filters. There are a number of Eheim filters in their mid teens there, no old fluvals though.

Bottom line is the Fluval x04 series are woeful in their constuction.

Can't comment on Rena as I haven't owned any, but they seem a pretty popular budget choice if you can't afford an Eheim.

eheim 1st choice, tetratec 2nd but it is a close call.
jebo 3rd choice, rena 4th choice :good:

Edit
to say I wouldn't have a fluval if you paid me on a weekly basis to have it.

Wow, I definately started something here, maybe a poll would be interesting. I see someone added one so we will see.

So I think I am leaning to the eheim but can't pick one. How hard are the classics to clean? B/c I have a 65 gallon planted tank and it seems the ecco's don't have enough gph output? Any suggestions? Thanks so much for all of the help.

The Ecco 2236 is rated for tanks up to 300 litres which is about what yours is I think. As I said above I run an Eheim filter on my 140 litre tank, the Ecco 2234 and I've never had any problems with it blocking. Cleaning is easy with all the eheim filters I think but I went for the ecco because of how easy it is to prime.

Most reactions

trending

Back