Canister Filter

yeah i agree, couldn't find out much about overflows when looking at sumps it would've been usefull, you've brought me round I think not sure though as while my tank is empty might take advantage of it

here you go gents. youtube finally loaded the video(s)

part 1: overflow operating as usual. i cut the power to the entire system to simulate an power outage, and allowed the entire overflow system to drain out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJJDaiN1xfI

part2: the system is off and completely drained as it would be in an power out situation. i then turned the power to the entire system back on to simulate a restart after a power outage. the pump kicks back on and starts to refill the tank. as the tank fills, the overflow resumes normal operation without fail. nothing was adjusted, refilled manually or reprimed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhHY9cpquJ4

(disregard the raspy narration. ive been at home sick since last week)

let this serve as proof that a PVC overflow, if properly set up, can be just as reliable and fail free as a drilled tank.

awesome looks good I just spent a few mins watchin all you videos! lol know what im making soon! lol

Does that "gurgling" sound go away at all? If not, is it really noticeable once you step away from the tank?

-FHM

NP. Sometimes you have to see it for yourself I guess.
I shut down and restart my ranks all the time for maintenance and cleaning (which I haven't done in a while as you can see in the video. Lol). Some tanks I shut down daily for feeding and just throw an airstone in the tank during that time.
In either case, I have never had a problem with a tank overflowing due to overflow failure.

MM: that top level is the drip tray. the poly-fill is covering the trip tray and the 4 levels below that hold the bio media (Hagen BioMax and ceramic rings in the second chamber and Scrubbies in all the rest)
As far as the gargling. That's just the sound of the system pushing the air out. Once the system is restarted and running properly, it is pretty darn quiet. The only soun you hear, if any, comes when the water level in my sumo drops. If the water level gets too much lower than the last level of media in the bio-tower, then you can hear the water dripping through the system. But then its just a matter of filling the sump back to its proper level.
also, most people keep theirs covered, but I leave mine open so the plants in the sumo can use the light from the tank.

Is this the same thing?

http://shop.aquatraders.com/Continuous-Siphon-Overflow-Box-600-p/44011.htm

-FHM

Does that "gurgling" sound go away at all? If not, is it really noticeable once you step away from the tank?

-FHM

Yeah, the sound pretty much goes away once the check valve pulls all the air out of the pipes.
If you have a properly set up sump or wet/dry, and a cover for it (unlike mine) it operates silently.

Is this the same thing?

-FHM

No. That's what's referred to as a "box overflow". they run off of the same concept though. IME the boxes tend to be louder than the PVC style overflow, but some people prefer the "look" of the overflow box. So it really depends on the person. I'm also told the boxes are less reliable, but I've never used one for long enough to have it fail on me, so I can't really comment on their reliability based on experience. What I do know is, PVC overflows are A LOT cheaper than the box ones, and work perfectly. And even after you buy a box overflow, you still need tubing or PVC to make the overflow a d return plumbing. So IMO, its best all around to just cut out the middleman.

Is this the same thing?

-FHM

No. That's what's referred to as a "box overflow". they run off of the same concept though. IME the boxes tend to be louder than the PVC style overflow, but some people prefer the "look" of the overflow box. So it really depends on the person. I'm also told the boxes are less reliable, but I've never used one for long enough to have it fail on me, so I can't really comment on their reliability based on experience. What I do know is, PVC overflows are A LOT cheaper than the box ones, and work perfectly. And even after you buy a box overflow, you still need tubing or PVC to make the overflow a d return plumbing. So IMO, its best all around to just cut out the middleman.
Yeah, that is what I meant by "is this the same thing?" It really is the same exact thing, just made different and looks different, but functions off of the same principles.

-FHM

actually after a second look, the one you posted is different from most "standard" overflow boxes, and looks like the function is much closer to that of a PVC overflow. (posting from my phone, so I usually don't bother with links. Lol.)
It doesn't see. To have the large U tube to carry water over the lip of the tank, and I'm not exactly sure. What that airline is connected to in the box, but it seems that it serves the same function as the check valve on a PVC overflow (which most common box overflows don't come with).

yeah it's too expensive. I bet I could make the entire thing out of PVC for the price of that one part. :lol:

-FHM

Actually, since PVC is about $3 for 10feet, you could make complete systems for 3 ranks for that price. Lol.

Most reactions

Back