Hello looking to fix pro aquatics canister filter 1600 need impeller

tomismyname

New Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2026
Messages
5
Reaction score
3
Points
3
Location
Glen Carbon Illinois USA
This is my first day. I have a neglected 55 and 10 gallon in the basement I started getting extra energy and decided to clean the canister pump. The water was getting cloudy. I think the pump had failed but i didnt notice right away. I asked grok and said obsolete cant find parts but thought someone here may know. Its PROQUATICS Canister Filter 1600 other info on label 137 MADE IN ITALY BY HYDOR. 115 Volts AC 60Hz 18 watts. The impeller was cracked its center axel that rides around the shaft had a slit. Small O ring inside had a slit also. I tried super glueing but it does not run. I hear it start for a several seconds when i smash on it then it stops. I looking to replace the full impeller part. Afraid to get the wrong one. Let me know if wrong thread I will try to move it.
Thanks, from Tom
 
I would contact Hydor. I have never dealt with them or seen that model of filter to even have an idea of its age. A lot of older equipment did have spare parts available, although that is becoming rarer and rarer. But unless you luck into someone who has one, that's probably your best (faint) hope.
 
Welcome to our forum... :hi:
And just like Gary has already mentioned, try to contact Hydor.
 
Welcome. You've already gotten the best advice, I believe. Hope it leads to the fix you're seeking.
 
I would double check but i believe it is a rebrand of Dophin C-1600 Canister Filter. If this is the dolphin c-1600 then the propeller can be found; it is not expensive but will require shipping over-seas.
 
Thanks for the ideas. I will contact Hydor and let you know outcome here.
Update. I contacted HYDOR they replied saying to contact their USA office. https://www.midwesthomes4pets.com/contact-us/
I did that, sent info from label and pictures of the impeller. They replied and are sending an impeller. $12.95 + shipping so very reasonable. Will get back when it arrrives. Thanks again from Tom
 
I replaced the impeller. The canister filter is working again. It was $12.95 including shipping. Packaging says HYDOR GROUP original spare parts, Hydor srl, Via Voiron, 27 - 36061, Bassano del Grappa (VI) ITALY, WWWW.HYDOR.COM, Cod.260121-055 / 05-2017.
I BORROWED A fluval 207 canister filter while this one was down The Fluval is much easier to replace filter and probably work on.
Thanks for your help
from Tom
 
I replaced the impeller. The canister filter is working again. It was $12.95 including shipping. Packaging says HYDOR GROUP original spare parts, Hydor srl, Via Voiron, 27 - 36061, Bassano del Grappa (VI) ITALY, WWWW.HYDOR.COM, Cod.260121-055 / 05-2017.
I BORROWED A fluval 207 canister filter while this one was down The Fluval is much easier to replace filter and probably work on.
Thanks for your help
from Tom
So I have three canister filters an eheim 2217; fluval x07 and fluval fx6; oh and yea a couple of zoo med 30s (they are small 'turtle' filters). I prefer the fluvals design over the other - i had one zoo med warp after 7 or so years so the lid no longer seals correctly making it useless 'cept for spare parts - and fluval support/warranty has been excellent. The only real negative are the fx6 is a pia due to weight and price point per gph or media or whatever is high. I haven't used any of the less expensive filter ssuch as i hear about leaks and i'm super peranoid about leaks - also most of my aquariums use sponges in one form or another (cube sponge, matten filter, sump with sponge slices, sponge here a sponge there - of course my canister filters have sponges in their media as well as sponge pre filters. I consider pretty much any media other than sponge a waste of space these days though there are specific times when you might need peat or carbon or this or that but they aren't general media just specific usage.

Anyway congrats on fixing the filter and give hydor a thumbs up for good service. I had good service from the italian company sicce even if i'm not a fan of their ac pumps much preferring dc pumps.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top