Canister Filter

fatheadminnow

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
What would be a good brand for a canister filter for a 55 gallon tank? It needs to have around a 6-7 times turn over rate.

EDIT: I live in the US.

Thanks!

-FHM

After looking at several websites and reading reviews I went with a Rena XP3. Excellent value and so far things have been good for me. That said everyone has their favorite brand and a disasterous story about when brand x leaked all over their new carpet, etc, etc. Good Luck.

For a 55 gallon, I am finding that a Rena XP2 does the trick for me. If you really want the high flow rate you could use a XP3 on that tank but I don't like quite that much flow on a tank.

I agree, and a lot more flexible as well. But this is for an already year old tank, and to run a sump I would have to completely empty the tank and drill a hole in the side of the tank where the feed line would run to the sump. And to me, I would rather spend a little more money on a canister than risk drilling a hole in my tank, lol. :lol:

In the future though, all my tanks are going to be running off of one central sump filter!

-FHM

isnt a central sump dangerous? like if you get a disease like fish TB then wont it spread to all your fish? and what about parasites?

i wish i would have done a sump for my tank, because i need to get at least 1 more big canister anyway, plus my tank has a hole in the bottom that would make it so i could get an enormous turnover

that would be some size sump! bit risky though as you could spread disiese through all tanks if one got something! I'm going sump for my new tank need to get it drilled :)

edit: beat to it yet again!

Sorry, I should say that I would have a sump for a series of tanks that have the same species of fish, fish that I would be breeding. So it probably would only be a couple tanks to one sump. I would have the main tank, with the parent fish, and the other couple tanks that would be on the same sump filter would be for the fry. And as they grow along the way they would move to another tank along the line, and the previous tank would be filled with new fry.

Also, if you quarantine the fish before they enter your main tank, then they are less prone to diseases.

-FHM

eheim 2217. cany go wrong with an eheim.

also, you dont "need" to drill your tank to add a sump or wet/dry. hell, you dont even need to stop its current operation.
the last two tanks i built wet/dry filters for are still running their old filtration with the wet/dry/ lol. all you have to do is take the measurements, and build your overflow. once its cured you can add the overflow to the tank without ever turning anything off. :good:

eheim 2217. cany go wrong with an eheim.

also, you dont "need" to drill your tank to add a sump or wet/dry. hell, you dont even need to stop its current operation.
the last two tanks i built wet/dry filters for are still running their old filtration with the wet/dry/ lol. all you have to do is take the measurements, and build your overflow. once its cured you can add the overflow to the tank without ever turning anything off. :good:
Can you explain this a little more?

Thanks!

-FHM

the thing I was told about overflows is that if the power goes off the pump stops water level in the tank drops bellow the overflow box and the syphon is lost, therefore one power is back on water from sump is pumped back in and floods because there is no syphon action anymore. not talking from my own experience but from others on this site. I would rather drill and not have to worry or make a syphon box thingy, gravity always works.

the thing I was told about overflows is that if the power goes off the pump stops water level in the tank drops bellow the overflow box and the syphon is lost, therefore one power is back on water from sump is pumped back in and floods because there is no syphon action anymore. not talking from my own experience but from others on this site. I would rather drill and not have to worry or make a syphon box thingy, gravity always works.
This is what my understating was as well. But there really is no siphoning in this method, just water falling through the drilled hole down to the sump.

-FHM

unfortunately, the information you were given is absolutely false. many people are quick to give you such poor information without ever knowing the facts for themselves, and it just starts this chain of misinformation until someone like myself comes along and stops it.

if that were true, please explain this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD43Dnq2Sdc

the overflow is sitting in a barrel of water, then lifted out completely (stopping the "siphon" as a power out would), once replaced, the overflow continues functioning as usual.

its an overflow, not a "siphon".

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back